X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phase 3 purchase, no phase 3 power.

I just purchase a Grizzly G0450z 37" drum sander that comes with phase 3 power. What are my options for changing to 220v power? It has a 15hp motor. Got it at an estate sale for 900 bucks, so I have a little wiggle room with money.

Re: phase 3 purchase, no phase 3 power.

Without swapping the motor to a single phase unit, your only option would be some type of phase converter. The converter will run you some bucks as well as a motor. Although not as efficient and are not the best option, static converters are going to be the cheapest and basicly energize the third leg to start the motor and then drop out leaving it too the two 110v legs. You lose the power advantages of 3 phase, but it does work. My dad has been running one on his 7hp powermatic 10" table saw for close to 20 years.

Comment

I'm not an electrical expert. Something like this may do it for you.

Elimia Rotary Phase Converter 15 HP Panel Magnetic Starting Hinged Enclosure

Fuji FRN015E1S-2U : Frenic Multi-Series Inverter, 3-Phase, 230V, 15 HP, 47A Rated Current
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

if it starts under load you need a rotary converter that is started at least 15 seconds before the 3 phase motor starts, but a no load can use a three phase static converter,

a rotary converter is basically a larger motor than what you have to run that is started by static converter,
        and the rotation in the motor acts like a transformer and created the third phase, for a 15 HP motor one would probably need a 25 hp motor for the converter.

now there is a way of by passing the static converter by using a small single phase starter motor that is operated by a monetary switch, to gain rotation on the converter, there are plans on the net for details,

using a static converter you need to derate the motor by a 1/3, your only using 2/3 of the motor
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A friend bought a SS Meat slicer with a three phase motor. I used a submersible pump control box to start the motor and it worked like a charm. You just have to lighten up on the load because like BHD said, you're only going to be getting 2/3 of the horsepower. If you bog it down to where it stops, it won't start again unless the control box stays in line.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, can your electrical panel handle a motor of this size?

That's a serious sander for some serious work. Must be a serious hobby for a pharmacist.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

You woke me up, Rick, hadn't noticed the member profile. Not to many of us Idaho guys on here. Still so few of us that have sold our horses and six-guns, and it's such a pain in the arse to ride 5 miles of trail to the general store to use their connection to the outside world.

LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                Just out of curiosity, can your electrical panel handle a motor of this size?

That's a serious sander for some serious work. Must be a serious hobby for a pharmacist.

Rick.
                The only difference between men an boys is the price of their toys!

Comment

Originally posted by amax View Post
                  The only difference between men an boys is the price of their toys!
                  You are talking to the king of toys. I have a 3 phase generator just for toys.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You are talking to the king of toys. I have a 3 phase generator just for toys.

Rick.
                    The real question downunder is what Rick DOESNT HAVE. Gonna be interesting when he flies in in his Antonov Super Carrier Airplane for the ROUNDUP DOWNUNDER.

C'mon Ridgid Australia, lets show these boys the best time of their life. Oh and we might be able to order some of the toys that Rick has that you are too stupid to supply to us here.

C'mon Tony pipe up and get the movement happening. The event that stops the Nation...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

you get a roundup downunder and i'll show up with my secret weapon

maybe bill can combine his ralley car show with a plumbing roundup. call it race for the gold

rick.

phoebe with her prized ridgid catalog featuring "uncle josh"

rick.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-03-2013, 09:06 AM.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

on three phase that would be about 40 amps on 3 phase 240 volt so a rotary converter converter would need about 100 amps on 240 single phase amp according to this. PHASE-A-MATIC Phase Converter, Rotary, 15 HP, 208-240V - Phase Converters - 3EDX7|R-15 - Grainger Industrial Supply this sizing guide recommends a little bit bigger http://www.americanrotary.com/sites/...ng%20Chart.pdf lot better price (different brand) 25HP Rotary Phase Converter | Phase Converters | American Rotary

the static starter is a lot more economical 12 - 20 HP Dual Range Static Phase Converter | Phase Converters | American Rotary

If a person can find a old 20/25 hp 3 phase motor and use a static converter to start it and then let the motor to transform the single phase power to three phase you could possibly save your self a lot of money on "making your own rotary converter" (use proper static for the idle/transformer motor) and should be about a 1/3 larger than the motor to drive.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It may be cheaper to have the power company/electrician run a 3 phase service to the work area.
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

you get a roundup downunder and i'll show up with my secret weapon

maybe bill can combine his ralley car show with a plumbing roundup. call it race for the gold

rick.

phoebe with her prized ridgid catalog featuring "uncle josh"

rick.
                            OMG the first picture is Rick Jr. Flat out
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                            X