X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDS Demo Hammer or Jack hammer

Looking for opinions on a SDS Demolition Hammer, Rotary Hammer or Jack Hammer.

We usually we rent a Bosch Brute Jack hammer for jobs like putting in sump pits, or breaking up shale in fence post holes etc. I'm currently looking for a tool that would work for us. The Brute is a bit big for some of these jobs but I'm not sure if a SDS Demo Hammer would be able to get us through these rare and occasional jobs.

I've priced a Brute ($1500) but we are hoping to meet a $600/$700 budget so I've also found some used Bosch Jack Hammers we can buy for around $700/$800.

When I was looking at Jack Hammers, watching videos of them on youtube etc I kept coming across a bunch of SDS's so I started looking at those. I have two models I would like your guys onions on. The one model is a Hilti TE 805, the other is a Bosch SDS Max 13-A Demolition Hammer Model#11321EVS. The Hilti is around $600 in literally new condition but used. The Bosch SDS is on sale $600, down from $800 and if purchased this weekend I get the taxes I pay back in the form of a $75 gift card.

For the Hilti, I've always heard great things about their tools but the problem I have is there is no place to go for this tool. Service work would require sending it away, we have one dealer in our area which is also listed as a Hertz Car Shop and the rest are spread out very scarcely in cities 4 to 5 hours away. Overall it just seems like they don't have the support base to ensure good service work vs other tools. I could be wrong but this is the impression I'm encountering as I can't find any stores, big box and small dealers who carry their tools.

Any suggestions?

On a side note, Milwaukee has some decent Demo Hammers but the price is around $1200, Bosch also has a 30lb Jackhammer but again that one is $1400.
    Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM.

Re: SDS Demo Hammer or Jack hammer

I use the Makita 1500. Not sure why you excluded it. If you buy used get the newer version as the older one uses metric shanks.
    I like the fact that I can use it in the horizontal position and can move it around.

Unless it is breaking a lot of concrete then I will grab the Bosch.

Comment

This tool may be smaller than what you're looking for... My 12 year old Harbor Freight SDS plus roro-hammer finally died (no comments! I was poor once). I bought this Bosch SDS Plus unit:

Shop Bosch 1-in 7.5-Amp Keyless Rotary Hammer at Lowes.com

I hammered and drilled 30 odd holes in 8 to 10 inch thick old concrete with rebar and mesh. It's not as fast as a larger jacking machine but when you have gas lines or other things around or under, it is a little gentler. The price isn't real bad either at $199. It will handle up to 2 5/8" core bits, 1" carbide tip, and has a hammer only for chiseling mode.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. The makita looks good. The only reason I never mentioned it was because it's not on the shelves or on the websites of the places I was looking.

I may have found an option today though. here is a link to it at Home Depot but it's actually Rona who I'm thinking of buying from.

Bosch Bosch 1-5/8 In. SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Bosch | Bosch 1-5/8 In. SDS-Max Rotary Hammer | Home Depot Canada

Rona has one left in stock near my house. The guy who was helping me said they could let it go as a display model with a %30 reduction in price, still comes with full three year warranty etc. Which sounded pretty good to me but right now they have this sale where if you buy before noon this saturday/sunday you get %15 back in store giftcards. That makes this option cheaper than I can find it used. He took my name and will call Sunday or Monday once they find the box for it. They will still honour the deal even if it's Monday. lol so hopefully it pans out.

Comment

IF I had to choose between a max rotary hammer and a brute jack hammer for heavy breaking, I'd go with the jack hammer. I know a heavy duty rotary hammer does a pretty good job, but it just won't hold up like a real jack hammer over time. You won't be boring any holes with the jack hammer, and that's okay unless you need the tool to do both jobs? Rare and occassional you can rent, big job you have to subcontract, but if you own your own jack hammer you are covered no matter what crops up!

Comment

Husqvarna Diamond Concrete Chain Saw - 6.4 HP, 14in. Bar, Model# K970Chain - Amazon.com

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
              Thanks for the reply guys. The makita looks good. The only reason I never mentioned it was because it's not on the shelves or on the websites of the places I was looking.

I may have found an option today though. here is a link to it at Home Depot but it's actually Rona who I'm thinking of buying from.

Bosch Bosch 1-5/8 In. SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Bosch | Bosch 1-5/8 In. SDS-Max Rotary Hammer | Home Depot Canada

Rona has one left in stock near my house. The guy who was helping me said they could let it go as a display model with a %30 reduction in price, still comes with full three year warranty etc. Which sounded pretty good to me but right now they have this sale where if you buy before noon this saturday/sunday you get %15 back in store giftcards. That makes this option cheaper than I can find it used. He took my name and will call Sunday or Monday once they find the box for it. They will still honour the deal even if it's Monday. lol so hopefully it pans out.
              If it meets your application-go for it. Can't beat the price. Note, there is a break time with this bosch- it does not actually reach it's max. power till about a day or two of use.

Comment

I've got this:

D25980K Pavement Breaker with Hammer Truck and Steel | DEWALT Tools

And This:

D25899K 21 lb SDS Max Demolition Hammer | DEWALT Tools

Both are awesome. The Dewalt jackhammer hits harder than the Brute and has better shock absorbers. I also have a few Bosch Bulldog Extreme which are the best rotary hammers out there.
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

The dewalt tools look awesome.

Comment

Hey Super, not sure if you've made your purchase yet. I rented this one 11316EVS SDS-max® Demolition Hammer | Bosch from HD a week or so ago and it was awesome. I'd buy one if I had the need for a big hammer regularly.
                    "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
                      Hey Super, not sure if you've made your purchase yet. I rented this one 11316EVS SDS-max® Demolition Hammer | Bosch from HD a week or so ago and it was awesome. I'd buy one if I had the need for a big hammer regularly.

I looked at one of those, it's a fair bit more but it definitely has more punch. If this deal I have going falls through that may be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                        This tool may be smaller than what you're looking for... My 12 year old Harbor Freight SDS plus roro-hammer finally died (no comments! I was poor once). I bought this Bosch SDS Plus unit:

Shop Bosch 1-in 7.5-Amp Keyless Rotary Hammer at Lowes.com

I hammered and drilled 30 odd holes in 8 to 10 inch thick old concrete with rebar and mesh. It's not as fast as a larger jacking machine but when you have gas lines or other things around or under, it is a little gentler. The price isn't real bad either at $199. It will handle up to 2 5/8" core bits, 1" carbide tip, and has a hammer only for chiseling mode.
                        I bought this hammer a couple years ago brand new on wicked sale for $169! Absolutely love it. For a small machine it packs a good wallop. Nice and lightweight for those "interesting one-handed maneuvers" on top of a step ladder if you know what I mean

I would recommend this machine to anyone who needs a good reliable everyday hammer drill with the occasional need for chipping. Great for removing various types of tile using a scaling bit too!
                        "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

Have the Bosch you mention, I drill holes as well. Two inch hole through 14 inches of OLD very hard concrete took 30 mins, a one inch hole 3 minutes!
                          The jack hammer works well, mostly do cuts in concrete floors for conduit and break out the concrete between cuts, works very well.

Comment

Finally came in. I get to use it this coming week. Makes my Hammer Drill look cute when compared side by side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52be4b552db7feffd45baa2023190717.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	17608

Comment

Working...
                            X