Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 300 Pipe Threader power question

Hey all,
    I am a computer geek so I am not sure about power. So here is the question:

I volunteer on various medical missions to the Philippines. In fact, I just got back 2 months ago from one. One item the doctors and dentist would like to do on the next one is helping the various towns with plumbling stuff. I know, you're probably saying WTF? It's how these guys relax on the weekends. And luckily, it's under the guidance of a true plumber.

So here the question. I resently purchased two Ridgid 300 pipe threaders. The motors are 115v, and do not show them having 220v capability. Is it possible to take the motors to the motor repair shop and have the windings rewound to allow the motors to run on 220V (Philippine) 50Hz power? Or is it cheaper to just buy a new 220 volt 50 hz motor?

Just looking for advise....

Re: Ridgid 300 Pipe Threader power question

could consider a buck/boost transformer? having the proper motor would be best,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Having been to the Phillipines, I'd tell you to use a generator....local power can sometimes be iffy. Truthfully I'd sell the 300's and use manual threaders. Labor is skilled over there and very cheap.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Side story is I just signed up for a medical mission to Guatemala. 90 doctors, nurses and support people. My good budy just got back 2 months ago and loved it so much that he is putting together his own team.

Will fill everyone in with the details in the months to come. Looking for a good electrician who can get away for 2 weeks.

A generator would be the most economical as a new motor and switches, cord, foot pedal will cost more than it's worth. Especially with 2 machines.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          A buck/boost transformer is usually used to boost the voltage for example 208V to 240V or buck the voltage, 240V down to 208V, a 240 X 480 primary voltage, 120/240V transformer would be better but the size needed would be heavy, suggestions by others to use a genny are good if local power is iffy.

I believe the Philippines is 50 HZ, if the threader is 60 HZ only the motor will not like 50 HZ power, another reason to use a generator because a transformer does not change the frequency.
          Last edited by Norcal; 08-03-2013, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            A buck/boost transformer is usually used to boost the voltage for example 208V to 240V or buck the voltage, 240V down to 208V, a 240 X 480 primary voltage, 120/240V transformer would be better but the size needed would be heavy, suggestions by others to use a genny are good if local power is iffy.

I believe the Philippines is 50 HZ, if the threader is 60 HZ only the motor will not like 50 HZ power, another reason to use a generator because a transformer does not change frequency.

Comment

Working...
            X