X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for tools to cool down?

I was using my reciprocating saw today and it was shutting off every few minutes. I was using it rather heavily and it was pretty warm out. 30degrees approx. Any of you guys have this problem? I was using good blades cutting 2x6 deck boards. It was fairly hot but I was in the shade.

I was thinking it might be the batteries but they would only drain 1 bar before it would shut off. I would change the battery and the tool would work again but a few times it wouldn't even with a new battery.

It was pretty frustrating waiting for it to cool down. Finally I left it for a hour then it started working while I finished out what I needed to do.

lol I was tempted to throw the thing in my cooler but was a bit nervous about creating condensation inside the housing.

Re: How long for tools to cool down?

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
    I was using my reciprocating saw today and it was shutting off every few minutes. I was using it rather heavily and it was pretty warm out. 30degrees approx. Any of you guys have this problem? I was using good blades cutting 2x6 deck boards. It was fairly hot but I was in the shade.

I was thinking it might be the batteries but they would only drain 1 bar before it would shut off. I would change the battery and the tool would work again but a few times it wouldn't even with a new battery.

It was pretty frustrating waiting for it to cool down. Finally I left it for a hour then it started working while I finished out what I needed to do.

lol I was tempted to throw the thing in my cooler but was a bit nervous about creating condensation inside the housing.
    What brand of saw? What voltage? My tools usually work fine when its 30 outside. Hell it was 93 here today
    26+6=1

Comment

If it was a Lithium ion pack it has circuitry inside to prevent battery damage in extreme heat or cold, and also in low voltage situations.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

It was a Ridgid X4 recip saw. Personally, while I felt it was being worked I didn't think it was excessive to the point that it should of been shutting down constantly like it was.

I thought about the heat protection from the batteries but I was having this issue even while switching between batteries.

I took my bare hand and put it on the bottom of the batteries as well as on the tool. They were warm but again, I was surprised they were tripping out like they were.

Comment

Maybe Ridgid can chime in on the internal protection circuitry in their batteries? Perhaps they also monitor the amp draw on the cells.
          ~~

Comment

I'm glad you brought up this topic. I never had your problem with nicads, but I do sometimes have the problem with lithium batteries - with 3 different brands of tools. The tools simply quit on me. The only brand for which I still have some nicads around is Ryobi. When a Ryobi tool quits while using a lithium battery, I can switch to a nicad and keep going until the battery is exhausted.

I'm going to use my absolute and indisputable lack of knowledge, and jump to the conclusion that there are possibly issues with lithium-ion batteries. Maybe the issues are related to continuous use or maybe they're related to heat. Either way, it's a huge inconvenience for me on the job site.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
              jump to the conclusion that there are possibly issues with lithium-ion batteries.

The issues you have are by design of the manufacturer to prevent damage to an expensive battery pack. If NiCads had these same types of circuitry they would last a heck of a lot longer.
              ~~

Comment

Today it was a lot cooler low to mid 20's and the tool tripped out again. Two bars left on the battery so roughly 50%. I had to switch out the battery to get it working again. The battery did not feel warm and the tool did not feel warm. I wasn't using it that long, two cuts through two 4x4 post and it tripped out.

Comment

While I don't have this particular tool, I do think that Li-Ion batteries are very poor choice for any tool that is going to be stressed to a point where the amperage draw is high.

I own only two Ridgid Li-Ion tools, both take the compact 12-Volt. The driver seems to work okay, but not great. In fact, my Ridgid 9.4 Volt NiCad "Pivot Driver" easily out performs it, with more torque and longevity.

The 12-Volt Li-Ion Job Max is about the most worthless Ridgid tool I own in that even with three fully charged Li-Ion batteries it doesn't perform long enough to get even a simple job done. The Li-Ion simply shuts down as you decribe, the second it seems to be stressed. (Some seem to think this is a bad trigger, but I'm afraid it's the batteries.) NiCads don't do that and will last far longer in service from my experience. Li-Ions simply can't take the current draw and because of their tendency to ignite, I believe the circuitry is such that it simply shuts down the battery the second the temperature starts to rise.

I have the older model, original corded Recip Saw and that thing can take a lot of work and even when it get hot it continues to perform very well. However, I don't run a tool when it starts to get to warm to handle comfortably... it's time to give them a rest!

CWS

Comment

>>The issues you have are by design of the manufacturer to prevent damage to an expensive battery pack. If NiCads had these same types of circuitry they would last a heck of a lot longer.<<

I believe that you're correct, and that the issues result from design factors with lithium batteries. But my feeling is that the battery cut-off point occurs too early. As others have said, the battery shuts down before it even gets warm to the touch. Maybe that's an overly conservative design-choice by battery manufacturers.

As to the lifespan of nicad batteries, my nicads always had a longer total lifespan than my lithiums. I still have a nicad that is over 10 years old. I've had 2 lithiums that lasted less than 3 years, and I'm careful about the proper use/charging of all my batteries.

So in the end, I appreciate the longer (non-continuous) run time of the lithiums, but I miss the days when I would run a nicad, non-stop, until it was time to pop on another one.

Dan

Comment

Im all 18 volt Makata and work like an animal , NO CODDLING ! They never let Me down !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have to agree with earlier post, it seems more the batteries than anything. When I would get into a tight spot, wood pinch, blade getting old or blade tip hitting wood etc, it would cause the problem for sure. Kind of like trying to start the circular saw when the blade is touching the wood already, instantly clicks out.

I have to say though that I was a bit disapointed by the situation. Up until now I've had no issues with the tools as I've always done jobs that require start and stops, cut a piece here, put in some screws, sand something etc. This was the first time I need a specific tool for such a long time and sadly I feel it let me down as this occurred multiple times over such a short period. I own 4 3.0ah batteries and 4 of the smaller ones and I had three dedicated for the recip saw and I still couldn't keep the tool running. Many of those batteries would stop when they were showing 2 bars.

My X4 circular saw however picked up the slack and kept me going until the tool started working again.

As for my Ridgid drills, I still love those things. My compact just keeps going and going, screw after screw. Same with my impact, it's so small but so darn useful at driving lag bolts.
                        Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X