X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Impact Driver bit stuck

Well okay had a bit of time this afternoon so I tried the welder technique and managed to get it done.

I thought I would try to try something easy first and as supermanofsteel said decide if going further was warranted or just simply buy a new anvil which is about $14.

First weld to a bolt was a failure. I then managed to weld it to a piece of bar stock and then used it as a slide hammer and using the vise managed to hit it out.

Now that it is back together I realize then even the collar was not coming out properly while the bit was jammed. But then as it turned out even when everything was removed the bit was still jammed. Clearly something had gone seriously wrong.

Yep - proper impact bits and only long bits or extensions from now on. Not sure why I missed that since I have a lo of impact sockets and two impact wrenches. This is the first time owning a impact driver though - bought it last Thanksgiving with the drill as a combo set when I retired my old 14.4V Porter-Cable drill.

One of these days I should take some proper classes and learn to be a good welder - none of my projects usually require welding but it has got me out of a hole a few times on various (especially automotive) projects.

Comment

Is that a Lincoln MigPac?

I love my Mig Welder, it's a Lincoln 220V and the front panel looks just like yours. Having one opened up so many opportunities when it comes to "inventing" stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
        Is that a Lincoln MigPac?

I love my Mig Welder, it's a Lincoln 220V and the front panel looks just like yours. Having one opened up so many opportunities when it comes to "inventing" stuff.
        Yes it's a Lincoln although lighter duty than yours being a 110V version. It has gas hookups and came with a regular but to date I've done only fluxcore welding. Thought about trying welding with gas but never got around to getting the gas. It does come in quite handy in some unexpected situations. A few years ago I fabbed a few custom tools to help rebuild a auto transmission I was working on. Just a few weeks ago I used it to help out on a new dishwasher install - the dishwasher came with side or top mount brackets. Reading the instructions I thought it would end up being side mount and in that case part of the bracket was designed to be broken off. I did that and then found that the top mount was really the correct version. A new bracket was $10 each + shipping . Out came the welder to the rescue. Not pretty welds but since it was going to be concealed that did not matter.

Even the metal screen in the photo was made by welding two sheets together. I actually made it for screening rocks from the soil during my backyard remodel but now I find it quite handy to use as a surface for welding.

Comment

That's awesome. I also have the gas hook ups. I've used an Argon mix when doing Aluminum welding and it's pretty much straight forward. I've also used the Argon mix for steel welding and the welds come out amazingly clean. I've since switched to flux-core because it's a bit easier in the sense that I sometimes don't use my welder for months on end. When my last tank expired I ended up getting an oxy-accet setup, with hoses etc but I recently got ride of it as I was only using it for cutting and bending metal.

I also see you use an auto darkening helmet. Those things work great don't they. lol for many years I use to use the flip down version before the auto darkening became more popular and the price came down.

So any other cool welding projects finished yet? Welding cart, trailer etc

Comment

No sadly I have not competed any major welding projects. I know the welding cart and welding table are popular projects for new welders as it gives a chance to try some welding and build something useful. I used to get a DIY magazine at one time - cannot recall the name- that had a metalworking section and had some interesting stuff to try - lamp, coat stand etc - and needed welding but I never had the time to try making any of them.

Yes the auto darkening helmet is great - got it from Harborfreight on the recommendation of the guys on the Practical Machinist website - and these are guys who generally look down on HF stuff.

For metalworking in general I have a few other things that do come in handy regularly. The 20 ton press is very handy for automotive work and also fixing small tools that need bearings replaced. The 4 X 6 metal bandsaw is really useful for cutting metal stock - it can run itself and shutoff on long cuts and makes production quality cuts. I even found it useful for plumbing work - you can make precise and square cuts on large drain pipes to a level that cannot be done by hand and it is quick and fast.

I also have a small drill press and a small brake useful for making custom brackets etc - again which have come in handy from time to time when the store bought brackets won't do exactly what is needed.

Some level of metal fab is very useful for doing other projects.

Comment

Working...
            X