X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver bit stuck

Any ideas on how to remove. I've tried pulling the collar forward and then trying to pull the bit with a pair of pliers but no luck. No sure what else to do without taking the tool apart.

Re: Impact Driver bit stuck

Try reversing the torque on something tight, just a short burst. Most times that will loosen it.

Ron

Comment

Thanks - I tried that - no luck. I then took the tool apart and still could not see an obvious way to ram it out from behind. There does not seem to be an open hole from the back to access the bit. Also it is difficult to grab the bit as it is a cross head type bit and it seems like most of it has sunk in leaving part of the cross head sticking out. It even tried putting it in a vise and it still slips out due to the taper on the cross head.

Should have used an extension - would have been easier to pull if it got stuck.

May have to call Milwaukee tech support to find out how to deal with this.

Comment

Been there done that with a 1" phillips bit too. Yes a 2" long bit is the proper one.

Try needle nose pliers to pull it out as you try to work it both directions. It will come out with some luck and wd 40.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

you'll have to sacrifice the bit but weld a piece of rod to the end of the bit so you can grab it.
          might work with epoxy too but I never tried that.

I had a bit break off almost flush with the face of the hex chuck and I TIG welded a piece of 1/4" steel rod to it and was able to pull it out. I had tried various methods over a couple months and none worked except this.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-05-2013, 06:27 AM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm definitely happy to sacrifice the bit. I had another go and it was almost impossible to pull the bit out while keeping the collar up so I ended up taking the tool apart so I have now isolated the anvil with the bit stuck inside. After a closer look at a similar bit (comes with deck screw packs) I think the issue is that the bit has curved sections which protrude above the hex shank so as the bit got driven into the shaft it has become wedged. It's in tight even though the retaining steel balls are now out. At this stage any stuck bit should just fall out.

From the back also it does not look like there is access - I removed the steel ball from the back. There is a needle bearing on the back and it does not appear to be a through hole through which I can ram the bit out on a press. Not sure if the ball recess is part of the needle bearing which can be pressed out. It is not obvious from the parts diagram.

Main option - other than buying a new anvil - would be to destroy the bit. I could try the welding suggestion - I don't have a TIG welder but I do have a MIG (although upto date I've only ever used it in fluxcore mode). Other possibilities are to drill and tap a hole into which something could be screwed into for attaching something to help pull it out.

Last edited by blue_can; 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Super glue ! Kiss
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The idea with drilling & tapping should work.

I've never got 1 stuck in the chuck, but I have gotten them stuck in an extension.
                All I do then is grab the bit with pliers & pry against the shoulder of the extension.

Looks like you used way too small of an non-impact bit.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Super glue ! Kiss
                  i tried that on mine, didn't work for me.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                    The idea with drilling & tapping should work.

I've never got 1 stuck in the chuck, but I have gotten them stuck in an extension.
                    All I do then is grab the bit with pliers & pry against the shoulder of the extension.

Looks like you used way too small of an non-impact bit.

Good Luck
                    yes, if those bits were just a 1/4" longer there would be no problem.

hit the tip of the bit with a file and see how hard it is, you'll want a flat spot on the center anyway for drilling.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Yes lesson learned - should have used longer bits or an extension.

I'm thinking I can fabricate a mini-puller to get this out. Some bar stock - the center will be attached to the bit by tbd method. Drilling may be tricky as mentioned as the bit may be hardened and also I think the tip is a bit rounded. Could also try a weld.

Then drill and tap two holes on either side of the center into which bolts can be inserted and the resistance against the anvil wings should force the bit up.

Now another downside is that I need to re-grease everything before assembly. The service info calls for Milwaukee J type grease which is unfortunately sold only in 1 lb tubs and costs about $25. Any ideas about a suitable substitute?

Comment

wow. what a saga. i've had that happen several times with my 14v ridgid impact driver. repair center removed it once. next dozen times, i had a helper grab the bit with pliers one hand and pull the locking collar forward with the other hand. then i hold the impact driver and run it in reverse. bit comes out every time. used the same technique with a friend's dewalt ID.
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Using the longer bits that are made especially for impact drivers will also help prevent this from happening. They are a bit more expensive than the standard driver bits but don't mushroom as easily in the holder.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've made the same mistake and survived it....won't go there again.

Comment

How much would a new collar cost? I'm sorry but unless it's a hundred dollars I don't see the savings in spending hours investing in a technique that may or may not work to remove the old bit.

Also bits are not hardened all the way through like a drill bit. They are hardened on the outside only as hardening right through would cause them to shatter. I like the previous post's suggestion of filling the bit down flush. It may get you through the surface hardening where you can drill the bit centre out or at least start a centre drill in that area. I would make a metal jig, drill a hold the size of the collar from the bottom and another the size of drill you want to use to take out the old bit. The jig will keep the drill on centre and help keep it from wandering off to the side.

Another option would be to drill a 1/8 or 3/16th hole in the back of the collar until you reach the bit. Stick a punch inside and knock it out from the back. When done you can put some silicone in the hole to keep out dust dirt etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X