Any difference in 18V charger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any difference in 18V charger?

I have two versions of the 18v battery charger.

The older style:

The new one:

Are there any difference in the circuitry? Should I use the newer one or stay with the old?

Re: Any difference in 18V charger?

As long as it's rated for the type of battery you are using it shouldn't matter.

Do NOT use a NiCad charger on lithium ion batteries.

Comment

We have had this discussion many times over the years, and at one point "Ridgid" stated that their lithium ion battereis had special protection circuitry which allowed them to safely be charged in the older nicad chargers. Myself and others here strongly doubt that is a good idea, and agree that the newer chargers are the only way to safely charge both older nicad and newer lithium ion batteries. Please read the following.

Li-ion
      Li-ion batteries should never be used in a non Li-ion battery charger. Li-ion batteries are used because they operate at a higher voltage (3.7 volts instead of 1.2 volts) than nickel batteries and they can hold more electrons in the same amount of space. This makes them ideal for providing longer battery life to high power electronic devices such as laptop computers, digital cameras and mobile phones. They also do not develop a battery memory like nickel batteries are prone to do. Because of the additional voltage and increased energy capacity, a Li-ion battery could catch on fire or explode if it were charged in a NiCad or NiMH charger.

Comment

Ryobi to name just one other than Ridgid, now offers chargers that are what they refer to as 'dual-chemistry', so good for ni-cad and li-ion batteries, znd their old ni-cad only chargers should not be used on new chemistry li-ion batteries. I suspect that the same would hold true for other makes batteries, and to be safe I would not use the older charger on li-ion batteries.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Both of those are Lithium ion battery chargers. I bought two combo tool kits a year apart and they came with two different versions. I don't have any Nicad Ridgid tools.

Comment

Agree with Mianmicuse, I have gotten both version in different li-ion kits. The newer style came in an X4 kit where as the flat wide older style came in a kit with a Compaq drill with the x3 style batteries (no led indicator on the batteries).

Comment

Looking at his original post, I can see the newer style charger but cannot see or open what he said was the oler style. I assumed the older style was the nicad charger and not a different but still newer lithium ion, or dual chemistry charger.

Comment

i thought the first pic with the grey background was the ni-cad charger, but
                the only RIDGID charger I have is like his second one which stands upright.
                I have mine mounted on the wall in the shop.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

No, they are both lithium ion chargers.

The first one which I called the older version came with the drill and one hand recip saw combo kit.

then later on I got the X4 drill driver kit and it came with another one, which is what I called a later version.

I was wondering if that later version is different or better circuitry wise, does it charge faster, or can keep a battery lasting longer?

The model numbers for these chargers are 140154001 and 140276010.

Comment

There are 4 or 5 generations of the Ridgid single battery charger.
                    The first three generations all look like the photo you have of the "old design"
                    The external differences are the decals and labeling, internally the circuit boards are different.

They also all cause various level of radio frequency interference [RFI]
                    I suspect the different circuit boards used inside vary as TTI changes OEM producers of the circuit board.
                    THEY ALL WORK just fine! and as long as they have a decal indicating "multi-chemistry" you can charge
                    nicad and Lithium-ion batteries.

The newer X4 design is the quietest regarding RFI and is obviously a new physical design. It will
                    charge all Lithium-ion batteries the Ridgid line produces. The X4 will also charge nicad batteries.

Ridgid has also introduced yet another 18V charger model R86091. You can actually only see it on E-bay!
                    I have no clue why Home Depot or this website has no information about this charger!
                    I suspect again, it's because of another OEM change ..perhaps it looks similar to another brand they
                    manufacture and simply changed the top connections etc...who knows..This will also charge
                    both nicad and lithium-ion batteries.

Since TTI makes batteries and chargers for Ridgid, Milwaukee, Ryobi, DeWalt and a myriad of other
                    known or off brand labels etc they are attempting to use the same battery charger circuit design and
                    the same batteries...to reduce R&D and costs...all they do is change the colors, decals, and battery
                    connections etc, It would be the end of the world as we know it if everyone used the same style battery
                    connection allowing a universal battery and charger!

So in summary.....any Ridgid charger that will charge your batteries is fine, newer, older, or in between they will all work.

Cactus Man

Comment

I agree with Cactuman, regarding the "multi-chemistry" label and it use for both types of batteries. I follow this stuff fairly closely... at least up to a couple of yearw ago. I do however believe that the older chargers should NOT be used on Li-Ion batteries and are NOT labelled for anything but NiCads.

The first image could be any one of three versions that I am aware of. When first introduced in 2003, that is the charger for all cordless tools of the time (9.6 thru 18-Volts.... ALL of them NiCads! Two or three years later, IIRC they introduced a 24-V Nicad and the charger was upgraded, but still looks the same. The part number however, was different. These chargers are all labelled with the NiCad battery voltages on the gray slotted cover where the battery is positioned (9.6, 12.0 or 14.4, and 18.0 and later 24-Volts, I believe). Later, but not sure what year, there was a charge which offered both NiCad and Li-Ion.... BUT, it was labelled as such.

There is a label on the lower front of these "RapidMax" chargers that tells you NOT to use them on any battery other than decribed in the operator's manual. Also, there is a WARNING label on the underside of the charger which states exactly the battery model numbers which can be charged.

Bottom line, if your charger ISN'T labelled to charge the Li-Ion batteries, I would definitely NOT use it for such. At very least, I would contact Ridgid Technical Support (not Customer Support) and ask someone who knows.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I have the one you are calling new and one that is even newer. I'll try to edit the photo in...the larger came in the drill/impact combo and the smaller came in the drill/impact/radio combo.

Newest one pictured.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by rofl; 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                          There are 4 or 5 generations of the Ridgid single battery charger.
                          Since TTI makes batteries and chargers for Ridgid, Milwaukee, Ryobi, DeWalt and a myriad of other
                          known or off brand labels etc they are attempting to use the same battery charger circuit design and
                          the same batteries...to reduce R&D and costs...all they do is change the colors, decals, and battery
                          connections etc, It would be the end of the world as we know it if everyone used the same style battery
                          connection allowing a universal battery and charger!
                          Why don't they do that?

The multi tools all have "universal blades". The sawzall blades work on all recip saws.

Why not give us universal batteries? Let the tools stand on their own merits!

I wish I can buy whichever cordless tool I like most, without considering batteries!

Comment

I agree, universal would be nice. However, that will never happen. Tool companies need some reason to make money (i.e. changes in batteries, chargers, etc.). The mark up on batteries must be huge, they probably cost 10 dollars to make, yet charge 70-100 dollars. If things were universal, they lose money. If you want universal, you might have to build something like the guys on this forum.

To summarize, you can wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see what you got!

Comment

Universal battery is a great idea and I wish it would be adopted by most manufacturers. I would not have to maintain three different chargers, and I would have already bought either the DeWalt or Milwaukee heavy duty 1/2 inch impact wrench. Since most of the big manufacturers or brands already offer the same tools (with the exception of Ridgid) what's the harm? I would still buy a Ridgid battery over a Ryobi battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X