Any difference in 18V charger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any difference in 18V charger?

I just exchanged my set for the newer smaller one.

It seems like ridgid was dumping the old chargers in the new boxes.

Comment

I remember hearing that the cell phone industry in Europe was forced to use the same connection for their chargers so people would not end up with a drawer of useless chargers as they upgraded from phone to phone. Don't know if that's true but it sounds logical. The idea behind it was to reduce the number of chargers that get trashed every year. I don't know if they made the charger an accessory with a new phone purchase but that would seem to follow if you want to reduce the amount of trash generated from cell phone upgrades. Too bad they don't do that here in the US with cell phones...and power tools...but that's a stretch thinking you could get competing companies to think about the environment for once.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Universal battery is a great idea and I wish it would be adopted by most manufacturers. I would not have to maintain three different chargers, and I would have already bought either the DeWalt or Milwaukee heavy duty 1/2 inch impact wrench. Since most of the big manufacturers or brands already offer the same tools (with the exception of Ridgid) what's the harm? I would still buy a Ridgid battery over a Ryobi battery.
        It would be more like GM in the 60s, 70s, and into the 90s where you had five levels of fit/finish/features/quality between the various brand names but many of the underlying piece parts were the same.

AEG = Caddy
        RIDGID = Olds
        Ryobi = Pontiac
        Craftsman = Buick
        No name/private label = Chevy
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Most cell phones do have a common charging port these days. Micro USB is the norm. Of course apple didn't want to cooperate, so they are different.

Comment

Working...
          X