Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450ft lbs of torque wrapped in an Orange coating...

Yup, I'm at it again my friends. Frankentool (I'm seriously thinking about starting a company with that name if it doesn't exist) has struck again, and its alive! Since Ridgid has been slow on its feet regarding a true torque monster 1/2" Impact Wrench, I built my own. This is the second impact, but I wanted more torque than my previous "frankentool" delivered. It started life as a 2663-20 M18 Milwaukee 18v Impact. The battery base is from my very first 18v Ridgid Drill I bought as well as the trigger. I would have preferred to use the OEM trigger from the 2663-20 but the M18 tools use the two center pins on the battery as well as the Pos./Nuet. and I tried doing the same with the Ridgid batteries w/out any luck. I had to modify they internals of the handle to fit the Ridgid trigger, and not the greatest of my work, but it works. Externally, other than some paint, epoxy, mesh, body filler and rubber coating, it looks pretty good. Had some issues with the rubberizing but over all it turned out ok I think. It works great!

Eat your heart out Frank

Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: 450ft lbs of torque wrapped in an Orange coating...

I love that name--Frankentool--must be a monster!

Comment

That's what I'm talk'in about!!! I like the looks, and the specs. I can't see it not selling if Ridgid would just make it. Imagine all the potential kit buyers and existing Ridgid owners seeing this offered as a stand alone in home depot? I guess Ridgid can't see it, or maybe it's in the works? I have to go cry
      Just forwarded this link to Ridgid, maybe they are unfamiliar with such tools?
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Killer. would buy one.

Comment

So.... what would the legal ramifications be if I bought said tools, modified them, and then sold them? They would be painted black with maybe the "Frankentool" name?

Comment

Depends on how much it cost to make and what you would sell them for because I think you'd make enough profit to have some good lawyers!
            I would pay around $169.00 for the bare tool, am I close?

Just saw this on Ebay, $148.00 free shipping. Heck if only I had a milwaukee battery.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-M1...#ht_5741wt_986
            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 07-19-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Frank, that's the one I modified! If it wasn't for the fancy trigger, its actually pretty easy to do. If I could find the schematics for the trigger and why it uses the center pins of the Milwaukee batteries, that might help. If I could find a plastic molding company to make the case and source out a reasonable priced battery terminal w/ trigger if need be & then sell the "kit" as a do it yourself deal it might workout. The cases could be had for less than 20 dollars, terminals less than 10, trigger is the expensive part, but if I can figure out the OEM trigger it would save a lot of money.

Comment

Alphacowboy, as much as I respect your determination and ability Ridgid needs to make this tool for the masses. There would probably be all sorts of legal ramifications if you sold your modified tool (trademark, copright, warranty issues). You proved you could do it, send some pictures to the Ridgid reps. I would buy this tool in a heart beat, come on Ridgid!

Comment

wouldn't it be better if you just make a battery adapter that would allow you to use your ridgid battery in a Milwaukee case? same with Makita and bosch.

forget about trying to sell converted tools as 1 lawsuit and you're homeless. concentrate on a battery adapter and sell the rights to the highest bidder.

I wouldn't even mind a belt worn battery pack with a jumper cord to the tool. this would lighten the tool and allow you to easily plug in other tools as needed. plus on a belt worn pack, you can double up packs to give killer run time. doesn't even need to be an oem pack. just a series of l ion batteries. pretty sure it might already exist, but the adapter pack is the way to go, not the tool conversion.

don't you ever watch shark tank i'll invest with just 25% ownership.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I believe the battery belt was brought up here before, maybe by Rick, I don't remember who. But I think its a good idea. You could offer belts for different make batteries. So if some one has a load of Milwaukee batteries they could order a belt for them and then you could offer various adapters with a coil cord that plugs into the belt. The adapter end would be unique to the make tool, say DeWalt 18v, and the end that connects to the belt would be the same so that i could use myDeWalt adapter cord with a Milwaukee belt or a Ridgid belt.

I really think this could be something, I'm in for 25% too.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Come on guys, one thing at a time. Let's get the 1/2 inch heavy duty impact made before we start with battery belts. I have a spare adapter off a Ridgid tool light that I may modify for the Milwaukee M18. Come on Ridgid, before the zombie apocalypse

Comment

bob, i'll be Mark Cuban and you'll can be Kevin O'Leary. we'll all be rich.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          bob, i'll be Mark Cuban and you'll can be Kevin O'Leary. we'll all be rich.

rick.
                          Heck; with the new patent laws; its for to register that counts not first to invent, so let's just do it and stop waiting on anyone else.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This forum has some of the most talented people I have ever seen at modifying tools to meet their needs. I bought the Ridigid X4 kit I really liked it, but the information from here about the possibly of not seeing many additional tools being released in a timely fashion or at all was a deal breaker. It seems like now they are bringing out more tools now which seems like a good sign for you guys.

Comment

Bob, Rick, it has already been done.

http://www.portcullis.com.au/robopak_battery_packs.html

Comment

Working...
                              X