X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial Arm Saw RS1000 Remove Lower Guard

Is there a way to remove the lower plastic guard?

Re: Radial Arm Saw RS1000 Remove Lower Guard

here's a link to the manual
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/DD660EB...rm_Saw_Man.pdf
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

here's a link to the manual
      http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/DD660EB...rm_Saw_Man.pdf
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks.
        I have the manual but what I want to do is not, and would not be in there.
        The upper metal guard is necessary. The lower plastic part is what I want to remove.
        It pivots on arms attached by shafts pressed and flattened to the top part. One shaft is held in by an 'E' clip.
        I was able to remove the black plastic guard on the inside of the blade. I did this so I can remove the entire guard without having to remove the blade first. Seemed like a bad design to me.

I am thinking the only way to do what I want is to drill out or cut the shafts.

Comment

Why do you want to remove the guard?

Cactus Man

Comment

My RAS is an old 1973 Ridgid-made Craftsman which does not have the lower guard. Personally I don't see why it is needed, except to keep one from shoving their fingers into the side of the spinning blade... after all, even with a lower guard, you can still pull or push the saw over your appendages.

But that said, I might still question why YOU want to remove the lower guard on your RAS.

Yesterday, I looked at the current Craftsman model (is it still made my Ridgid?) to see how that lower guard was attached. Unfortunately, the lighting in that area wasn't particularly good and someone had mounted the whole guard assemble wrong; it was rotated back about 90-degreess, so the lower half of the blade was facing the operator and the adjustable clearance shute (which is normally at the back of the blade) was down on the table. It felt jambed in that position, as loosening the mounting thumb screw didn't loosen anything up.

In any case, that particular lower guard seemed to be mounted with broadhead security screws or Torx... I couldn't tell whether or not the heads had the security pins within the socket. However, you indicate that yours is different... and therefore you would have to drill them out. If that is the case, AND if the lower guard really is an annoyance to you (like getting in the way of your being able to observe the actual "cut"), then I guess I would just proceed.

While I have never felt a lower guard was essential enough for me to try to add one to my RAS model, I will say that I would absolutely never entertain removing any of the other safety features from the saw... and that includes the upper guard, the adjustable back guard/dust shute, the splitter and anti-kickback pawl assembly.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              Why do you want to remove the guard?

Cactus Man
              So he can cut his fingers off then sue Ridgid for allowing the information to be posted here.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

"Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue"
                ~JR Cash~
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                X