Ridgid 5" RO Sander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 5" RO Sander

My old R2600 RO sander died. It had some sort of circuitry problem, and the tech condemned it to parts. Ridgid sent me a refurb sander to replace it (z2601).

The 2601 operated fine, doing everything it is supposed to. But I feel that ridgid cut some corners over the previous model. The illuminated plug is gone, which I quite liked. The cord is also significantly shorter, and they replaced the handy Velcro cord wrap with a useless moulded clip. They also took away the adhesive pad, which could be swapped out for different types of sanding discs.

These were the things that separated ridgid from the pack when I first bought the sander. I am disappointed, even though the sander operated the way it should.

Re: Ridgid 5" RO Sander

It's a shame that TTI has down-graded the tool to such an extend.... AND, I might add that, at least in my opinion, they have NOT honored the LLSA with the value that you and I put into the original purchase.

When we (and I consider everyone who made this purchase) decided to fork over our money to buy the R2600 ROS, it was for very specific reasons! Among them were the features that attracted us to this specific product, over all others: Longer cord that had a lighted identity, the Velcro cord wrap, and the accessory adhesive pad. While I may give them the benefit of the doubt with the idea that perhaps the Velcro pad and the PSA pad might be useable with the R2601, they apparently didn't give you the option of keeping those! What about the hard case, did you get to keep that or perhaps you just didn't pass that on to the repair center?

Look, I guess I can be a hard *** about such things (but I think we all should take the same stance).... the LLSA stated that it would repair the product for as long as we owned it... (our lifetime, not some arbritrary determination of what they might consider to be the product's life). If the electronic control card failed, then it should have been repaired or replaced. Instead, you were provided with a USED, somewhat less product.... and perhaps a product that you would never have purchased in the first place.

These features that are now missing were NOT just something ordinary; they were in fact, highly Marketed features that were advertised as making their product better than the competition...... AND now, they are simply not going to give those to you, but instead are giving you a lesser product! How in the he!! is that honoring the LLSA?

CWS

Comment

You need to return it to the repair facility and discuss this with Ridgid customer service.
      Replacing a defective unit with a refurbished unit is not discussed within the LSA agreement.

Unless it's in the very tiny fine print!

I would stress that the sander you received is not the sander you had under the LSA and want
      either your unit repaired or replaced with a similar model with all the features your unit had.

Oh and be courteous!

This sounds like static electricity killed the electronics.

Cactus Man

Comment

When I turned over my previous sander for repair, I took it in the case. Inside the case was the adhesive pad, the sander, etc. I was expecting to get it back, of course.

The refurbished tool came with a soft case, but I won't use it.

The tool as it is sold now is not a sander I would purchase. I preferred the previous model, which is not available anymore.

Comment

Well, in NO way would that have been acceptable to me. My first response would have been "Where's MY sander?!".

I think I would go back to the service center (or give them a call) and inquire further. I would also call Ridgid Customer Service and raise a few questions.... this simply IS NOT right, IMHO.

CWS

Comment

If they don't have a comparable product anymore I would see if you could get your money back I don't know if that's possible with the lsa. I get what everyone is saying but their isn't much more Ridgid can do if their are no more parts available to repair the problem he had with the sander, and their is no more supply of new or refurbished versions of the model he had originally. It's the general state of the power tool industry the tools have features removed to keep it at a certain price point retailers want. I hope you can find a resolution that works for you.

Comment

Get your old sander back before one of the techs there fixes it and takes it home.

If its an electrical problem you should be able to get it fixed, even if you have to go outside the repair center and pay out of your pocket. I say that because reading between the lines of your post I alomst feel that you would rather do that than lose all the features that made this sander one worth purchasing in the first place.

There is probably some fine print that lets them give you the current most equivalant model if yours is no longer made. I would push for them to locate a circuit card from another returned unit and fix yours, or maybe you can look on ebay can find one cheap and fix it yourself. I know that's not what you got the LLSA for, but if retaining the original tooll and its features is important then maybe that is the way to go.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

AND.... there is an outside chance that the circuit card can be repaired too!

We live in an age when most everything is just 'thrown out', and that is especially true with electronic circuit boards. BUT, that doesn't mean that it has to be! Generally speaking there may be only a single component on that board that has failed, like the power IC or even a simple diode (often the culprit if a static discharge was received through the power cord). Any good electronic technician can replace those components, so check around.

CWS

Comment

I appreciate the effort and suggestions of your posts guys, but I don't really have the patience or time to argue with ridgid anymore. It took months for them to reinstate my "missing" tools to LSA status, and I had to relocate receipts dating back to 2006. I found most, but not all of them, so some of my tools still do not qualify for the LSA, even though I jumped through all the hoops years ago. I have a rather long and detailed thread on this if you would like to read it.

This sander will prob be used for a while, and then I'll replace it with a nicer unit from another manufacturer. I'm pretty much done buying ridgid tools. The whole lost LSA materials, and the refurb low quality replacement sander, have left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

Comment

This thread has been very educational. I've learned that I need to:

(1) Ask the repair facility what will happen to my old tool if Ridgid gives me a new tool

(2) Ask what it would cost to repair the old tool, should I decide to bypass the warranty and pay for it myself

(3) Try to hang on to my case and all accessories when I go in for a repair

(4) Accept Ridgid's downgraded replacement, sell it as "new", and use the money to repair my original tool

Thanks,
                    Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X