Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Fried my compressor w/ a bad extension cord, what part to replace? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried my compressor w/ a bad extension cord, what part to replace?

I'm a dummy... I fried my 10 year old 33 gallon Craftsmen compressor. I plugged it into a bad extension cord and plugged it into a splitter plugged into another extension cord. I should of known better. It worked for a minute, sounded a bit wobbly... tripped the breaker. Then I reset the breaker and it made a clicking noise and quit all together.

I hope I fried a $5 part and not the motor. Any idea's guys...

Re: Fried my compressor w/ a bad extension cord, what part to replace?

many compressor motors have a re set button on the end of the motor,(Usually red in color) That is a over heat switch, that works some what like a breaker, it could have tripped.

picture is of a table saw but the ac should be similar

This may not be the problem but a place to start.

since you only have a cord, pressure switch, and a motor I doubt that low voltage would hurt a cord or a pressure switch.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2013, 12:16 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Compressor motors typically have a start and run capacitor. Also there is a starting switch, circuit in the motor that could possible be damaged if the motor never got up to speed with lower voltage.

A replacement motor isn't that expensive. Neither are capacitors. The starting circuit switch is more involved.

I would remove the belt to allow the motor to run under no load and see if it starts or smells.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with BHD. It may have just over heated from a long length over too small of a cord. Or it may have been a failure coinciding with the usage of that cord.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

IF your compressor is an oil-free model that uses a Powermate/Sanborn pump/motor assembly, those blasted things are notorious for being hopelessly fried by low voltage (extension cords). We change those damn things all. day. long.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I believe that's why manufactures state "Do not use an extension cord" in their manual. Voltage drop is your enemy. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Working...
            X