Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fried my compressor w/ a bad extension cord, what part to replace?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried my compressor w/ a bad extension cord, what part to replace?

I'm a dummy... I fried my 10 year old 33 gallon Craftsmen compressor. I plugged it into a bad extension cord and plugged it into a splitter plugged into another extension cord. I should of known better. It worked for a minute, sounded a bit wobbly... tripped the breaker. Then I reset the breaker and it made a clicking noise and quit all together.

I hope I fried a $5 part and not the motor. Any idea's guys...

• killavolt
    replied
    Re: Fried my compressor w/ a bad extension cord, what part to replace?

I believe that's why manufactures state "Do not use an extension cord" in their manual. Voltage drop is your enemy. Sorry for your loss.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordeere
    replied

IF your compressor is an oil-free model that uses a Powermate/Sanborn pump/motor assembly, those blasted things are notorious for being hopelessly fried by low voltage (extension cords). We change those damn things all. day. long.

Leave a comment:

• Plumber Punky
    replied

I agree with BHD. It may have just over heated from a long length over too small of a cord. Or it may have been a failure coinciding with the usage of that cord.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

Compressor motors typically have a start and run capacitor. Also there is a starting switch, circuit in the motor that could possible be damaged if the motor never got up to speed with lower voltage.

A replacement motor isn't that expensive. Neither are capacitors. The starting circuit switch is more involved.

I would remove the belt to allow the motor to run under no load and see if it starts or smells.

Rick.

Leave a comment:

• BHD
    replied

many compressor motors have a re set button on the end of the motor,(Usually red in color) That is a over heat switch, that works some what like a breaker, it could have tripped.

picture is of a table saw but the ac should be similar

This may not be the problem but a place to start.

since you only have a cord, pressure switch, and a motor I doubt that low voltage would hurt a cord or a pressure switch.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 07-30-2013, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X