Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18 volt tools--Help

I really need your help!

I am very frustrated with all of my 18V Ridgid tools!

I have no clue what I can to do about it!

Please...all, well most of my tools are from 2005 vintage to present series [not newest]
    That's right some of my Ridgid 18volt tools are over 8 years old!!!!!

How can I justify buying the new Ridgid 18volt tools that come out every month
    especially drill/drivers and impact drivers when all of my tools are working perfectly!

Please share what you do to abuse your tools so they break and thus justify that
    you can then go out and buy the newest model!

Reading all the threads here it seems Milwaukee and Makita and De-Walt and other brands
    never break or fail and those folks using them never have the challenges; but us Ridgid tool users do.....

So please share with me the ways you abuse and break your Ridgid tools so I can then justify buying
    the newer models!

I'm in Arizona so no rain, no snow, no pick up truck to mess up a tool...
    My tools are clean stored properly etc. Sadly I even use them safely and properly!

I am so frustrated I called customer service and they refused to help me
    So I'm asking you ..... what is your secret to abusing your tools??????

Cactus Man

Re: Ridgid 18 volt tools--Help

Cactus, I don't know if this will qualify, but I just had to replace my orbital sander (Ryobi) I have had it since 1994, but the other day I dropped it off of a stepladder (8ft)and the case broke. Maybe you can climb up a ladder and drop your tools on the concrete. (Don't have any sawdust for padding) If that doesn't work, see if one of your neighbors has a four to six year old son--I am sure he can destroy whatever you give to play with. HTH

Comment

I think if you leave them in the driveway they are bound to encounter an overwhelming force sooner or later.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If you really want new tools just sell your old ones and upgrade as you go

Comment

I think we all know that Cactus Man is complaining about the quality of his tools and how that complicates replacing them with newer tools which may offer additional features or advantages over his present stable of tools.

Manufacturers, most of them anyway, have figured out that this was a problem for the average consumer. That's why tools and other items do not last as long as they used to. Remember when that drill motor would last 30+ years? Makes it tough to convince yourself or others that it's time for a new one doesn't it? With the new tools with a average design life of 5 years, you no longer have that problem. You can start thinking about upgrading after only one year, because there's a good chance you've only got 12 to 18 months left with the tool you have now.

But Cactus Man is saying that RIDGID is bucking the trend, and that the RIDGID tools he has have gone way over 5 years so far and show no signs of giving in. So he is troubled by the thought of retiring his current tools before their time.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Bob D you caught the satire!

Actually there is a way for perfectly good tools to die a sad death!

The manufacturer no longer supports the specific tool or its specific disposables.

For example RYOBI had a small Jointer. Trying to locate the R-1, R2, R3 biscuits are
            almost impossible as RYOBI no longer makes them or supports the tool!

Another very obvious tool that has been dumped is the Ridgid 18V planer!
            Ridgid no longer makes replacement blades for it. If you're lucky you may find
            a pair for $30.00 or more on E-bay..Original price was around $10.00

Neither of the tools mentioned above have been upgraded or replaced with another
            version of the tool..They were simply discontinued!

To make matters even more frustrating is having an obsolete tool that works perfectly!
            The only challenge is locating the tool's disposables.

I'm likely the exception and not the rule as I have Harbor Freight Chicago Pneumatic
            air tools. I actually have a 3/8" Chicago Pneumatic drill going on plus fifteen years!
            I paid $19.00 for it..The only thing I changed was the 3/8 chuck from a keyed to a
            keyless chuck.

How do I do it? Well I use the tool for what it's designed to do. I do not use a 1/4" drill
            to mix drywall mud, or do I use a ratchet as a hammer, or use a screwdriver as a pry bar or chisel!!!!

I will admit I do not use my tools 8 hours a day 5 days a week to make a living...Those that do that
            should not buy RYOBI or other DIY type tools from the big box stores...They need real tools like Hilti or
            Angersol Rand pneumatic tools etc.

The $10.00 drill VS the $200.00 drill there is a difference!

Finally learning how to use a tool properly and safely also reduces damage to the tool and you!
            Reading to owner's manual tells you how to maintain the tool and use it safely. Thanks to the stupids
            and lawyers we have 20 pages of "do not use this tool while in the shower with the water running" warnings!

The schools today do not teach students any tool fundamentals what so ever....Then they watch a DIY TV
            show showing the newlyweds redoing their kitchen in 1 hour and they think that's not too hard I can do that!

I'd estimate half of the "my tool is broken" posts here and on other tool reflectors are from
            improper use, improper maintenance or not knowing how to use or set up the tool.
            If you hold a hammer correctly, swing it properly, use the correct hammer for the task at hand chances
            are you'll have that hammer for a very long time!

If you use a 5oz claw hammer to build a deck you'll likely mess up a lot of nails, make a crummy deck
            and break the hammer..not to say you'll be very sore!.

Cactus man

Comment

Lend them out to relatives and neighbors................you'll need new one before you know it.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Lend them out to relatives and neighbors................you'll need new one before you know it.
                I've lost 2 lawnmowers that way. The first they ran straight gas in a 2 cycle.....the second I suspect is at a pawn shop while my phone calls are dodged. This is over 15 years but I'm done with that.

Comment

On a positive note....I just moved and while sorting some assorted items I happened across a brand new set of blades for my Ridgid cordless planer that I didn't even know I had. SCORE!

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                    On a positive note....I just moved and while sorting some assorted items I happened across a brand new set of blades for my Ridgid cordless planer that I didn't even know I had. SCORE!
                    Ifigure that some day blades for my DW735 planer will no longer be available, so I watch for Lowes to put them on sale which they occasionally do for no reason I can figure out. When they do I pick up a set. I picked up a set a couple weeks ago and have three spare sets now. Since they are double-sided that's 6 blade changes which should last me at least 6 to 8 years or more. The planer will probably die before that, it's 9 years old now. When that happens I will make the move to a 15 or 20 inch 220v machine, either new or used.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Dman, you already mentioned something that you wouldn't do with your 18-V drill and here I was going to mention it as a cure for your problem:

Mix drywall cement with it!!! ( Someone actually posted a nasty review on Epinions a few years ago regarding the Ryobi D45 corded drill... how he "smoked it" mixing tile adhesive.)

Oh well, I'll have to give some more thought to how you can wreck your tools!

CWS

Comment

I actually reserve a particular ridgid 18v for mixing drywall mud and thinset/grout and have for years. They are capable if you know how to do it. I like the egg beater type paddles. The only cordless I've ever smoked (very little) was a Bosch 12v that I bored some doorknob holes with (20 years ago).
                        Last edited by rofl; 08-10-2013, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X