X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol in Gas in Small Engines

Anyone know any negative effects on small engines as a result of the introduction of ethanol in gas?

Any engine manufactures that have addressed it the best?

Things to do to combat it's negative effects? (If there are any...)

Thanks.

Re: Ethanol in Gas in Small Engines

I believe it damages fuel line in small engines, and probably damages the engines themselves. I use this product which I add to my 2cycle mixed gasoline. Probably should be added to auto as well? I also add stabil to my 2 cycle all the time. I think the gasoline breaks down much faster than we imagine.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-10576-...519#vi-content
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 08-18-2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I guess the mixture could damage the engine. However Ethanol based engines are under development but still they are a bit far.
      Monoprice Coupon Code

Comment

I was having a problem with my Echo trimmer, it would start fine, but when it got hot it would hardly start and it was a chore to get it to run once hot. I went to the techs and their solution was higher octane, gas stabilizer, and filter changes due to the ethanol content in gas. So far, it is running like it should with these changes.

Comment

I burned out a piston in a chainsaw using ethanol/gas. Been using hi-test ever since. No problems. I use the hi-test (non-ethanol) in all my air cooled engines, now.

Comment

What PK said, another ethanol free gas user here. I run 91 octane in my mowers, snow blower and other small non 2 cycle engines. In the 2 cycle engines, I run 89 octane/oil mix. I read somewhere a few years back that the higher 91 octane gas isn't good for the 2 cycle engines but I can't remember why it isn't.

I'm fortunate to have a gas station/small engine repair shop near me that sells ethanol free 87, 89 and 91 gas so I have no trouble finding the ethanol free gas. This website, http://pure-gas.org/ , may be of interest if you're looking for a source.
            Last edited by BadgerDave; 08-19-2013, 10:00 AM.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

the ethanol absorbed moisture from the air, and the mix of water and ethanol will clog up thing and creates a corrosion some metals, and any long term storage compounds the problem, it seem hard on some rubber compounds and the pot metal castings,

I have not hear until reading this thread of piston damage.

What burns me is the small engine manufactures know there is E10 and so on, but are not making there products to function correctly on the fuel that is being sold,
              (my guess is most small engine problems out there to day are fuel related problems),

the car companies seem to have come up with a product that deals with the ethanol fuels with out having problems with it,

I think the best thing to do is run the tank dry of fuel when done using it for any storage time. really for any thing over 2 weeks, especially if there is any ethanol content IN the fuel.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I took my trencher to a mechanic and he told me the ethanol eats the rubber in the carburetor and other parts exposed. He told me all of the 7 or so units he had in there for repair were due to ethanol.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                  I took my trencher to a mechanic and he told me the ethanol eats the rubber in the carburetor and other parts exposed. He told me all of the 7 or so units he had in there for repair were due to ethanol.
                  what I was saying earlier, there are rubbers that will stand up to the ethanol, but the small engine manufactures are not using it, they (manufactures) keep using the low grade rubbers and then blame the fuel.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

what I was saying earlier, there are rubbers that will stand up to the ethanol, but the small engine manufactures are not using it, they (manufactures) keep using the low grade rubbers and then blame the fuel.
                    I thought I read where the govt was going to quit mandating ethanol. Or was that a dream.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Honda Lawnmower wouldn't start.

Sparkplug-Check
                      Good Gas-Check
                      Flow-Check
                      Oil-Check

Nothing. Start taking things apart. Pipe on bottom of carburetor that sits in fuel bowl looks like this. Wonder if this is Ethanol related?

Click image for larger version

Name:	45d36113087609cb6b067b727383a48f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	17748Click image for larger version

Name:	634e2dfabcfc3f132b596703fd19f884.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	17749

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        Honda Lawnmower wouldn't start.

Sparkplug-Check
                        Good Gas-Check
                        Flow-Check
                        Oil-Check

Nothing. Start taking things apart. Pipe on bottom of carburetor that sits in fuel bowl looks like this. Wonder if this is Ethanol related?

Click image for larger version

Name:	45d36113087609cb6b067b727383a48f.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	17748Click image for larger version

Name:	634e2dfabcfc3f132b596703fd19f884.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	17749
                        Sure looks like corrison. I would suggest a combination of the Lucas ethanol product mixed with Stabil, I use it in all my gas cans regardless of when it will be used! I've even had short fuel lines between the tank and shutoffs rot away prematurely.

Comment

That's definitely corossion. Probably from water intrusion into the bowl over time.

Comment

[QUOTE=nkyrental;404311]That's definitely corossion. Probably from water intrusion into the bowl over time.[/QUOTE

That's the major problem with Ethanol, it's a water magnet.

As a side tip, if you store gas in containers, ALWAYS shake the container before using to make sure the water molecules that settle at the bottom get mixed back into the rest of the mixture as there WILL be an accumulation of water at the bottom. You might not be able to see it or even know that it has accumulated, but it's down there.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                            X