Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Are the old 18v Ni-Cad chargers repairable?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the old 18v Ni-Cad chargers repairable?

At issue is a 2 bay charger of the above specs. The one bay has stopped charging and now only flashes but the other side still works. I guess it's just the OCD in me that wants them both to work so I tried to disassemble it by removing all visible screws from the base to see if there's a fuse inside that is replaceable. Any parts diagrams which I have found only lists the recharger and no other parts numbers. Back to the screws - it won't separate. If there is nothing inside which is serviceable then, that makes sense. So, the questions are, 1) Is there a fuse inside and 2) if so, is there a diabolical hidden screw which sole purpose is to make us nuts? I'd love to have a new Lithium drill but since my disability I can't justify one and besides that, I love this drill. I'm on my second battery rebuild and it still works fine. OK, back to the questions, have at 'em, please.
    Later,
    Chiz

Re: Are the old 18v Ni-Cad chargers repairable?

Can't answer you question specifically but think LLSA.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Did you remove the 4 rubber feet? there is screws under them

Comment

Thanks for that tidbid, AC. I thought that I was daft with all that trying (is it Friday already?). I wonder if anyone will chime in on whether or not there is a serviceable part inside. I wouldn't know the part if I saw it, unless it is similar to an other type of fuse that I have seen.
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

You may have to reverse engineer the circuit board I have never seen any schematics
          for ANY brand battery charger....They assume those using tools do not understand electronics!

You may want to verify all solder points are good, check to ensure all contacts are good as
          perhaps one side has lost connection tension to the battery....you should also be able
          to measure the charging voltage and compare side one to side two.

I do not recall any fuse but if it has one it's likely soldered to the circuit board
          and likely is to protect you from line voltage not DC output voltage.

hidden screws? If I recall there may be a hidden torx screw under a small circle decal
          on the bottom of the base ..thus 4 screws under the feet and one in the center

Cactus Man

Comment

There is only 6 screws, four feet and the two in the center that are accessible. There is two fuses, one for each side of the charger. Its basically 2 chargers inside, each are powered individually. If one side, the fuse is probably popped. They are not removable, so you'll have to get a solider in type unit. Sorry, I cant read anything on them for specs. Just happen to have one taken apart here at my desk

Comment

Thanks, c.man. I'll have to check into those things tomorrow. I don't recall a decal but, you know how that goes if you're not particularly looking for a decal. I could also look for signs of overheating around a component or a connection. I'll keep you posted.
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                There is only 6 screws, four feet and the two in the center that are accessible. There is two fuses, one for each side of the charger. Its basically 2 chargers inside, each are powered individually. If one side, the fuse is probably popped. They are not removable, so you'll have to get a solider in type unit. Sorry, I cant read anything on them for specs. Just happen to have one taken apart here at my desk
                Is there room in the case to desolder the fuse and go to a remote in-line fuse holder like below or maybe even a panel mount fuse holder?

---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If you are attempting to de-solder any component, let me warn you that much care needs to be taken. Depending on the components and board design (old-style components like identifiable resisters, tansistor, IC's, etc. OR "surface mount technology" [SMT] which are extremely small, similar looking components). Introducing extreme heat, electrical charge, etc. can do more damage than intended, even with the most careful hands.

Personally, I'd leave these kinds of "board component" repairs to someone well practiced in electronic repair. Unfortunately, we live in a throw-away time, when replacement of a circuit board is often more economic than component level trouble shooting. You could check locally and see if there is anyone in the area that does this kind of thing. Even in the Amateur Radio community, such repairs have become rare, though a few people still exist. Check with any electronic shops to see if they know anyone... as this has become more of a hobby than a profitable business enterprise.

CWS

Comment

OK, thanks to you guys here's where I (we?) stand. There was no screw under the center decal. What felt like a dip was an injection point for when they were forming the base. The feet were so secure that I was sure that there was nothing under them but, pliers said differently. Once inside the layout was daunting but there, midline along the back edge lay two Busse fuses, side by side. I couldn't see which was bad but closer inspection with a penlight (showing my age there) there was a black dot on one end of the fuse wire. The heck of it is that the fuses are contralateral to the charging station! That is, it's on the left side and the charging station that is non-functioning is the right. Do you think that I can merely piggyback the new fuse on the back of the old one using a jump wire to attach them? Thanks a lot already for the help!!
                    Later,
                    Chiz

Comment

Do you have a multimeter? set it to the resistance scale and measure the fuses
                      power off of course!
                      if you get continuity the fuse is good
                      if you do not get any indication the fuse is open.

Now..if a fuse is bad ...WHY?....
                      one option is the fuse itself failed. A bad solder connection internally,
                      fuse wire inside glass broke due to sudden mechanical shock...etc.

OR you have a component failure on the circuit board..again you'll have to
                      reverse engineer the board to determine what the circuit paths are.

Simply trying another fuse without knowing what happened may work but can also
                      cause more damage to the circuit especially if there is a component failure down the line and
                      that caused excessive current to blow the fuse.

No solid state component will indicate defective unless it has blown up!
                      So simply staring at the circuit board is a waste of time.

Perhaps if you look under the board at the solder pads you may be able to
                      identify an area that was stressed

happy hunting

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks, bud. "Hunting" indeed!!
                        Later,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...
                        X