X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up impact driver - my Ridgid needs service

OK the most frequently used tool I have is my Ridgid impact driver. I have bought a bunch of combos but the regular drill, the recip saw etc...I used them once in a while, but the impact I use ALL THE TIME.

Unfortunately the impact is needing service. First it started to wobble more than it should be, on longer bit in tight spaces, the bit tend to chew off the screws, and I have used multiple bits, it's not the bit the drill is just out of center a tad.

Next the collar keeps getting stuck and harder and harder to pull the bit out and push it back in. There is a bit of rust.

I decided to have it serviced, took it to a Ridgid service center and was told sure, leave it, but the wait is like 3-4 weeks.

Now, I can't sit idle for 3-4 weeks without the impact. I got stuff to do. So I took it back and kept on using it even in it's bad state, and finally I think I need to really get it serviced.

So now I am looking for a replacement impact. At first I was thinking of picking up a cheap Ryobi until my Ridgid comes back, but I saw this deal.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...587-_-10926682

Lowes is having a sale on this combo tool.

PORTER-CABLE 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit

at $149 if you get a 10% off coupon it's $135.

That sounds like a great deal...but why is this 20V cheaper than the 18V counter part? It has metal gears and rave reviews. What am I missing? It's cheaper than buying two Ridgid 18v batteries.

So I think I am going to pull the trigger to get this as my replacement, and if it works better than the Ridgid it may be a permanent replacement until the batteries are dead since they don't have LSA on batteries only a 3 year warranty.

Re: Back up impact driver - my Ridgid needs service

Or for $100 you can get a second console that uses the same batteries you already have and it carries the LSA. As much as you depend on one you would certainly make good use of two. I have three.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18...034B/203159657
    Last edited by rofl; 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I agree with rofl but only if you're happy with the current one you have, minus what it's going into the shop for. I have a number of older Porter Cable tools which have served me well but keep in mind that the current Porter Cable is not your fathers Porter Cable.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yeah....that might be a decent set, but as far as I'm concerned the current PC line of cordless tools are just Black and Decker with a new badge.

Comment

Or for $100 you can go this route and add a battery and charger.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-re...20&cgid=ridgid

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

The $100 reconditioned driver + battery seems like a valid option.

I know the PC today is not the PC before. I have a recip saw and a circular saw from PC that's 10 years old and I love them.

This one has metal gears so I thought I might try it with such an attractive price.

To be honest I used Ridgid mostly because of the LSA batteries. Take out the LSA batteries and I probably go with Makita.

Comment

Take out the LSA batteries and I probably go with Makita.

so the lsa for the tool, cheaper price, and battery gauge do not count?

Comment

The Lifetime of Struggle and Annoyance agreement could be easier, and it would be nice if they didn't 'accidentally' drop your batteries off the list of covered tools/accessories.

What are you saying is cheaper? The reconditioned tool for $99 from CPO or something else? Can you buy the impact stand alone, I don't know if you can or not.

Are you saying the battery gauge is valuable enough to sway someone from buying another tool if that is the only difference perceived by the potential buyer?
                Last edited by Bob D.; 08-24-2013, 05:02 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                  Take out the LSA batteries and I probably go with Makita.

so the lsa for the tool, cheaper price, and battery gauge do not count?
                  The LSA for the tool, yes and no. Based on my experience on cordless tools, this is really the first one I had to have it serviced. Previously most of my cordless tools of various brands, Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee etc...the tools themselves never broke...they got "shelved" because the batteries died out and it was more cost effective to get new tools with batteries then to replace the batteries. So this is the first time I had a cordless tool break besides a Ridgid one hand sawzall that never really worked. Bottom line, I never had a cordless tool besides Ridgid died on me for reasons other than batteries.

Cheaper price is subjective, they all run specials here and there.

Battery gauge? I hardly ever notice them. I have 5 18v Rigid batteries in a rotation and I drive them till they run out, swap and recharge. I only use the gauge when a battery died to confirm it is dead.

So yes, the single biggest reason for me to use Ridgid cordless tools is the LSA for batteries, simply because this is the only reason I tossed other working tools before.

Comment

Of course tools outlast batteries. In others brands the cheapest route is to buy a new combo rather than a few batteries. I'm not sure how this ended up being a positive in your opinion. It's typical, but not necessarily a good thing.

And I love the battery guage. It lets me get the most from a partial charge by pairing it with the right tool while using my fully charged batteries for energy hogs.
                    Last edited by rofl; 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post
                      The LSA for the tool, yes and no. Based on my experience on cordless tools, this is really the first one I had to have it serviced. Previously most of my cordless tools of various brands, Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee etc...the tools themselves never broke...they got "shelved" because the batteries died out and it was more cost effective to get new tools with batteries then to replace the batteries. So this is the first time I had a cordless tool break besides a Ridgid one hand sawzall that never really worked. Bottom line, I never had a cordless tool besides Ridgid died on me for reasons other than batteries.

Cheaper price is subjective, they all run specials here and there.

Battery gauge? I hardly ever notice them. I have 5 18v Rigid batteries in a rotation and I drive them till they run out, swap and recharge. I only use the gauge when a battery died to confirm it is dead.

So yes, the single biggest reason for me to use Ridgid cordless tools is the LSA for batteries, simply because this is the only reason I tossed other working tools before.

I was saying RIDGID is cheaper than Mikita, has the lsa for the tool and battery, Makita doesn't, and has a battery gauge and Makita doesn't. Sorry was trying to reply to bob d.
                      Last edited by pesciwasp; 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                        Of course tools outlast batteries. In others brands the cheapest route is to buy a new combo rather than a few batteries. I'm not sure how this ended up being a positive in your opinion. It's typical, but not necessarily a good thing.

And I love the battery guage. It lets me get the most from a partial charge by pairing it with the right tool while using my fully charged batteries for energy hogs.
                        I think in most cases, it's cheaper to buy a new combo rather than a new battery, Ridgid included. I bought two Ridgid combos, one was a drill and one hand sawzall. I used the drill quite a bit, hardly the sawzall because it couldn't cut through 2x4s (mine couldn't). Later on I bought a drill and driver, because I needed the driver, not the drill, since I have one already. I use the driver A LOT, with the two drills sitting mostly idle.

I now have 5 Ridgid batteries, and since I mostly use the driver, I never had to optimize the batteries the way you do.

As to other brands, I tend to shop each tool individually, without worrying about sticking with the same brands.

Comment

You made my point, but with the LSA it's not as cost effective to upgrade to a new combo. Therefore you will get more wear and tear on a particular tool and it will need serviced.

If makita batteries got replaced for free you'd wear out a few of those too.

And I'm not quite as loyal on corded tools. A unified battery system is important. Corded? Whatever works for you.

Comment

Perhaps. I wouldn't know. I didn't have other cordless tools flake out on me, that could be because they are better built, or because the Ridgid tool was getting more usages thats beyond the lifetime of 1-2 batteries (which is not the case because its only a little over a year after I bought it), or because of my random luck lack thereof.

If I pay $100 to get a new refurbished driver + battery, I will get an extra driver. I *THINK* these reconditioned tools and batteries will not be granted a LSA, correct? Or will they?

If they will not have LSA, then they will likely have the same life expectancy as the PC combo I am contemplating. I know those tools will last as long as the batteries last - 3 years, then I am moving on.

Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Well I don't care for multiple battery systems, so that would determine my decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X