Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone own the dual blade saw?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-5-...3250/202581823

I tried the search function and had little success.

I've thought about it and replacement blades are marked way down. I can get many replacement blade sets for 75% off original price. Not worth it if everyone hates the tool though.

What sat ye?

Re: anyone own the dual blade saw?

A good question. I've been meaning to post that question myself, now that the blades are down to 10 bucks! Hopefully someone will respond.

Dan

Comment

I found them for $5.

Comment

First where are these blades located for such a low price?
        I want to stock up so when Ridgid discontinues the product I can still use it!

I have the twin saw and really like it....I have it now around 2 1/3 years
        I bought it around May of 2011.

I did write a review here a while back ..

Briefly ...if you are left handed this twin saw design is the safest one on the
        market. The other design using a 4" hand grinder type motor is dangerous
        if you're left handed.

The saw is well balanced
        the lubricating stick process is crap but all twin type saws use a similar system.
        The saw does not have a guide plate by design although it would have been nice as
        an optional accessory that you can install if needed.
        The blade guard is fair but works much better than the other designed twin saws

Installing the blades do require some care so they do not rub against each other or
        you can damage the saw itself.

I have cut steel square tubing when grabbing the chop saw was inconvenient.
        Cutting PVC leaves a lot of burrs so find another way!
        The cut kerf is about 1/4"... well, you have two 1/8" blades and a space!
        So adjust your measurement and cut lines accordingly or you'll cut short of your
        measurement.

I have cut rebar, copper pipe, steel rods, tubular steel, tried PVC and ABS and it makes a mess!
        I did use it to cut wood but I have so many other wood cutting tools it makes this use unnecessary.

On a scale of 1-10 compared to the grinder type designs this tool is a ten!
        On a scale of 1-10 compared to safe operation I give it a ten! especially if you're left handed
        On a scale of 1-10 compared to ease of use I give it a 6
        On a scale of 1-10 compared to using a reciprocating saw or other power tool to cut I give this tool a 4
        The only real advantage with this saw cutting metals etc. is the fact it has absolutely no kick back.

Hope this helps

Cactus Man

Comment

Dont own the ridgid, but ive gone through a handfull of the craftsmen models. Right out of the box, the blades rubbed and the saw smoked. Never even left the store.

In the field it was disappointing when I tried to cut a 75 gallon heater in half. Ended up using my sawzall to finish it off.

Costco has a version on closeout pricing around 69.00 with a second set of blades.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            First where are these blades located for such a low price?
            I want to stock up so when Ridgid discontinues the product I can still use it!

Cactus Man
            Various orange stores. Its a shame they aren't more consistent when they mark down things, but sometimes it plays to your advantage if they don't know it's a closeout item yet.

Comment

Working...
            X