So...I got a 18V X4 Impact Wrench for $50 at Home Depot today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...I got a 18V X4 Impact Wrench for $50 at Home Depot today

Trying to decide if it's a good deal or not.

I have a bunch of Ridgid 18v tools, and the 18V impact wrench I have now needs to get serviced (I have LSA for that), but I have been dragging my feet because it's still usable for now and they told me it will take 3-4 weeks.

Since then I have been watching for a second impact driver to use while the other one gets serviced.

Today I visited a local HD and on the clearance rack is a Ridgid impact driver laying there with a bunch of other stuff. No price on it, looks fairly new, no scratches or dents on it.

I called over a guy in an orange apron and asked for the price of the display model, he told me it's not a display model, it hasn't been used. He said it is most likely a returned item, or someone stole a piece out of a set rendering the whole set unsellable. I asked how much, he said "well how much would you want to pay for it?" I thought about it and said "since this doesn't come with a charger, no battery, no idea of it's condition, and no warranty etc...how about $40?"

He said "OK $40 it is" just then another orange apron guy walked up and said "what's up?" and we repeated the discussion, and the second guy told me $50. I said he just agreed to $40! The first guy said yeah I just told him $40, but the second guy apparently outranks the first guy and insisted on $50. Right there the two started arguing with each other in front of me...

The first guy walked off, told me the second guy is going to take care of me. I told the second guy, that this tool the way it is no box no manual...I can't get Ridgid LSA because there is no way I can mail in a UPC code without a box. He said sure you can, Ridgid is HD exclusive and you get LSA no problem...I tried to get him to mark the price further down but he wouldn't discount any further.

Finally I decided to take the $50 tool, but told him I will be returning it if Ridgid customer service tells me I can't register this tool for LSA. He said OK...

So I guess my question is, is this a good deal or a bad deal?

This is the tool I got for $50. Just the tool no charger no battery.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18...7#.Ujo_Nn-mVxM

Of course, you can pay $40 more (total $90) to get it refurbished WITH a battery and a charger here:

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-re...FctQOgodwnkAtQ

Which is an excellent deal except you don't get LSA with the refurbished item.

So the $99 question is, is the HD guy correct? That Ridgid will allow me to sign up for LSA with this tool without box & UPC code?

On the receipt, it didn't say CLEARANCE. It says $99.00 NEW MK DN $49.00.

Re: So...I got a 18V X4 Impact Wrench for $50 at Home Depot today

ridgid doesn't care what you paid for your tool. i've gotten tools for $1 and for $.01 and sent in those receipts for LSA registration without incident. you better check the LSA fine print carefully, though. i seem to remember that the old max select line of tool only products might not have been LSA eligible because they weren't part of a kit. here's the LSA:

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/power-tool-warranty
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I don't think Ridgid cares what I paid either.

My point was since the tool didn't have a box, there is no UPC code to be cut out. LSA registration requires receipt AND UPC code cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post

My point was since the tool didn't have a box, there is no UPC code to be cut out. LSA registration requires receipt AND UPC code cut out.

think you have to call and have it done over the phone

Comment

impact driver, hate to be the guy to correct but ..

Comment

Last tool I bought I did it all online, no mail-in and no interaction with CS.
            They asked for the tool serial number and the HD receipt number.
            The online registration only works with tools bought at HD.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post

i've registered a dozen combo kits with no upc. under what i'm coming to see may be the old way of completing the LSA registration, i just mailed in a copy of the register receipt evidencing the purchase. ridgid has never requested a copy of a UPC from me, ever.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X