Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid oscillating spindle sander issue.

Hello,

My Rigid spindle sander has been giving me some problems, and I wonder if anyone else has had to deal with what I am about to describe. Sometimes, the sanding sleeves have a tendency to ride up, on the spindle, during operation. Also, I can just BARELY touch wood stock to the spinning spindle/sleeve. Anything more than just very slight pressure, and the sleeve will freeze from spinning, on the rotating spindle. And when I say very slight pressure, I mean just that. I have to try and find my owner's manual, to see if it (hopefully) contains a corrective counter action for the above.
    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Re: Rigid oscillating spindle sander issue.

Sounds to me like you may not be sufficiently tightening down the nut that holds the spindle in place.

EDIT: Just had another thought. Did you buy a new batch of sleeves? Could be that the sleeves are slightly oversized.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 09-28-2013, 09:28 AM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Sounds to me like you may not be sufficiently tightening down the nut that holds the spindle in place.

EDIT: Just had another thought. Did you buy a new batch of sleeves? Could be that the sleeves are slightly oversized.
      Thanks for responding. I have had this unit for (what I believe is) the better part of two years, and the recent use of the machine was only the second time I had done so (due to a flooding of my basement/shop). So, these sleeves are - in a sense - almost new. As far as the tightening nut is concerned, I have it cranked down as far as I can get it to go - even though the spacing between the nut, and the top of the sanding element looks to be more than it should.
      ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Don't forget to use the correct sized washers at the top of the sleeve
        Yes, you need to "snug" the bolt to keep the sanding drum from wandering.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
        X