No announcement yet.

Pneumatic Nailers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic Nailers

I needed to do some fence mending the other day, so I go looking for a multi use nailer and stapler, as I found out there are many nailers for many uses. I did purchase the 1-1/2 crown stapler which like all of my Ridgid tools worked like a champ. Now my confusion starts, I would like to get a set of nailers for building some outside structures and finishing my basement. I see there is the cordless that uses
    DA, 15 Gauge, 34° fasteners, then there are the angles and straight models, 15 and 16 gauge models (I understand one is thicker than the other) but why not just make one model to use both fasteners? Two different framing nailers to choose from, brad and finishing nailers. Basically looking to frame, install trim and molding without having to predrill and speed things up, then have lots of honey wants this list built so thinking about the finishing nailer (which I really like cordless model) but what are the DA, 15 Gauge, 34° fasters? As you can tell I don't have a lot of experience with these, so if anyone can lead me to somewhere where I can read up on each use that would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pneumatic Nailers

The stapler is a good start.

The angled finish nailers are designed to fit into tight corners.

I have the straight 16 and 18 gauge Ridgid nailers and as a homeowner I
    have found them to address 99% of any task needing the use of a nailer.
    I also have a liker pin nailer 23 gauge.

The 18 gauge will likely be used for 90% of your builds..from shelving to molding and trim.
    16 gauge straight or angled nailer will offer a bit more hold but typically you'll be gluing
    most joints! Most 16 and 18 will require their holes to be filled with wood putty and sanded for a nice finish.

The 23 gauge pinner is great for tiny stuff, picture frames etc so you do not need to
    fill the nail holes and of course you also will use glue. The 23 gauge is often used to
    hold the piece as the glue drys.

The 23 gauge pinner is also handy when making templets and allows you to also easily
    disassemble them.

I also have a large Harbor freight framing nailer. I've used it twice in many years!

I suggest you stay with the Ridgid nailer line as they offer the LSA program.

Senco, Porter Cable, and other brads and nails fit the Ridgid line of nailers.

Cactus Man

Very good reply from Cactus Man.

Let me add that, you can't really have a nailer design that fits different "gauges" or diameters of nails. Basically the guide system that keeps the nail straight as t is driven into the stock has to be fairly precise in fitting the nail or brad so that it doesn't bend within the mechanism.

You can of course buy different length sizes of a particular gauge.

I too have the Ridgid Straight Finish Nailer and the Brad Nailer. While I am not a big user of nails for my particular projects, I must admit that they are ever so handy and greatly speed up fastening trim (brad nailer) and moldings (Finish Nailer). I wish I had the crown stapler and that is somewhere out there on my "wish list". I borrowed one to install some subfloor a while back and found it great and certainly much faster than screws.

Next year I am planning on building a new shop onto the side of my garage and even adding a second floor. For that project, my plan is to get the Ridgid Angled Framing Nailer. In the past, I've only used my trusty old framing hammer, but for such an ambitious "loner" project, the framing nailer will add considerable efficiency.

I hope this helps,

i own both rigid and bosch nailers
        they both work very good and like any good tool you have to properly take care of them.
        i do not lend out any of them with the exception of family (they know how i want them cared for)

although i lent my old skill circular saw to a young neighbor with a demolition blade on it.
        (he was cutting some old lumber).
        he brought it back the next day with a brand new blade on it and apologized he hit a few nails
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!