X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty Question

I bought a 12v cordless kit from an Ebay seller earlier this year. It was supposed to be new and came in what appeared to be the original box. I followed the instructions on registering the items online and sending the required paperwork to the entity I was instructed to send it to. Beings I had purchased from Ebay I printed out the email receipt I received from the seller. About 6 weeks later I get a response from the warranty division saying I had purchased the kit from an unauthorized retailer. In fact, this seller was actually a Hilti dealer but happened to have this Ridgid kit for sale. I understand that I made a mistake purchasing from this seller and that the warranty will not be honored. I was probably given mistaken info when I asked this Ebay seller if I would be able to register and warranty the kit with Ridgid and was told I could. That's on me. But, how do we know who's authorized and who's not? There are tons of businesses on Amazon and Ebay and other places that sell Ridgid products. I'd like to order from Amazon (for cost and shipping reasons) but how can I be confident Ridgid will honor the purchase and warranty my items?

Kind Regards...

Re: Warranty Question

Home Depot is authorized. I wouldn't buy Ridgid powertools anywhere else if I wanted a full warranty(LSA).

Comment

NuuMee,

The fact is you CANNOT! (be assured of registering anything from E-Bay or Amazon, regardless of what those people tell you). The simple fact is that only Home Depot has official authorization to sell the Ridgid-brand power tools which are made my Techtronics International (TTI).

TTI manufactures tools under several "licensed" brand names, including Ridgid and Ryobi. TTI owns Milwaukii, AEG, Dirt Devil, Hoover, and a few other well-known companies, but both it's "Ridgid" and "Ryobi" brands are used under a licensing agreement. More importantly (to this conversation) is that Home Depot has an exclusivity agree with TTI to sell those tools bearing the "Ridgid" and "Ryobi" brands.

NO OTHER U.S. retailer has that right, and thus both warranty and Lifetime Service Agreements outside the limits of both of those service programs, should a purchase be made from any other individual or retailer. (At least that is my understanding since 2003, when these agreements were announced.)

One should understand that there is a huge "gray market" out there. Many E-Bay, and other sales, are made from purchases that were originally through other channels and may even be components of "combo kits" that were originally purchased at sale and then broken up to maximize personal profit. Though they may well be NIB, they are technically "previously-owned" and therefore you as a purchaser from such sources would be the second owner and not entitled to register for any warranty or service agreement.

I hope this helps your understanding,

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Yup, what Mr. ROLF so simply and accurately posted. "Home Depot" only.
        GAS

Comment

eBay has some sort of protection insurance provided automatically for some sales. I forget what it's called, though. If the reseller provided you with a product with incorrect information you should be able to file a claim through eBay's service. Try to work it out with the seller first.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

There are some others such as toolup, but they may not carry the power tools made by TTI
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Note that the Ridgid Outlet Stores also offer the full 3-year warranty and the LSA on BRAND NEW tools (not reconditioned). I buy a lot of tools from the outlet stores, and some are overstock items that carry nice discounts.

Dan

Comment

I've never seen a Ridgid outlet store other than CPO which only sells reconditioned Ridgid tools.

Comment

There are no Ridgid Outlet Stores around here either that I know of.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Direct Tools carries both new and reconditioned Ridgid tools. In fact, TTI tools are the only lines they carry. I occasionally see a Craftsman tool there, but I believe that TTI is still making some of those lines for Sears. The new tools are generally overstock, and there is no way to predict what tools will be stocked at any particular time. I'm still waiting for the Ridgid 10" sliding CMS to show up, but I recognize that it may never happen.

The stores are impressive. They handle all of the TTI lines, including Hoover. Some of the clearance prices are ridiculously low, especially on accessories. I recently bought a 6" Ridgid hole saw for 8 bucks. Today only, November 1st, all non-clearance items are carrying an additional 35% discount.

Dan

Comment

Yep. There's a Tools Direct Factory Outlet in a nearby outlet mall. Ridgid, Ryobi and an occasional Milwaukee thrown in. Mostly recon and discontinued tools along with TTI's floor care products. Purchases there qualify for factory warranty (one year recon and two/three year for new) although I don't know if LLSA is offered on their new Ridgid tools.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Hey Dan...
                        I see you live in SS - which outlet do you frequent?
                        I live in Canton and frequent the on in Calhoun (up I-75 before you get to Dalton).
                        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Yes, the LSA is offered on new Ridgid tools sold at the Outlet. The problem for me is that most of the tools that I find there are reconditioned. I suppose that the discounts have been great enough to offset the fact that I'm settling for a shorter warranty. With the normal discounting added to their "special" promotional discounts, I've paid less than half of retail for a number of Ridgid tools. On featured items, I've paid about 1/3 of the retail price. The only non-bargains that I've encountered have been with the reconditioned lithium batteries. The ones I've bought, Ridgid and Ryobi, have had almost no remaining life. They have been packaged with tools and combos, although the tools have worked just fine. My opinion of the batteries may very well be a minority opinion.

I generally hit the outlet in Commerce, GA but occasionally I hit the Calhoun outlet when I'm headed up to Chattanooga.
                          -Dan
                          Last edited by AtlantaDan; 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X