Need help cutting tile.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help cutting tile.

I have a house I need to fix a pocket door. I can’t really take the bath wall out. So here is my problem. Someone put a tile floor down with the door open. Now I think the only way to get it to close is to cut through the tile the width of the door. Then open and cut the door, add molding over the cut spot in the tile. I need to cut about 60 inch along the tile and will end and start next to the wall. What kind of tool will I need to cut the much tile and that close to the wall?

Re: Need help cutting tile.

an angle grinder with a diamond blade. expect a mess and possibly chipped tiles.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I use a grinder with a diamond blade. It works great but doesn't leave a pretty edge.

Not seeing your situation I can't say definitely, but I bet the door can be cut a little at a time with the right tools. That way you don't cut tile.

Post a picture.

Comment

A Fein multi-master (or similar) with a ceramic blade will do it, but you should practice first.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
          A Fein multi-master (or similar) with a ceramic blade will do it, but you should practice first.
          You could use a straight edge with the multi-tool to help guide you for a straight cut. Put the straight edge over the side you want to save so you can't wander off course with the tool.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

For the bulk of the cut one could put a blade in a skil type saw, and even lay out a straight edge to follow it could be put down with some duct tape, or double stick tape if necessary. and finish up with the grinder or osolating tool
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have blade for concrete, may work for part. I was hopping to cut a little of door a piece at a time but just can't see how I can go in and then up so I take 1/2 in off at a time.

Comment

the pocket doors I have messed with have adjustments to lower and raise them. You might pull the trim off of the top and look to see if there is adjusters, or some way to remove it from the track.

Comment

Originally posted by elkman12 View Post
                  I have blade for concrete, may work for part. I was hopping to cut a little of door a piece at a time but just can't see how I can go in and then up so I take 1/2 in off at a time.
                  You can take off a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off the door at a time. Don't try to cut it parallel to the floor. Cut at a 45 degree angle working top to bottom. Hold door tight against the tile, make your cut, open door into pocket and remove chip. Once you have made all your angle cuts and door is completely closed, mark a straight line and make a finish cut.

Comment

If you elect to cut the tile I would also suggest you secure a straightedge to the floor and use a wormdrive type saw fitted with a good blade for most of the cut and clean up then corner with a grinder. Do you know what the tile is - porcelain, travertine etc. I would suggest not using a concrete blade on your tile. Concrete is soft but much more abrasive than porcelain or stone tile which are much harder but not as abrasive. Not all diamond blades are the same - the diamonds and bond matrix are optimized for the type of material being cut. You will get significant chipping if you use your concrete blade on tile. If you tile is porcelain/ceramic I would suggest something like a T3 Razor for good clean cut and if it is travertine I would suggest something like a Alpha Libero blade - I have personally used both of these blades and they work great.

Comment

there is a special saw "jamb saw"used by flooring contractors, that may work for you, you should be able to rent where you can cut the bottom of the door off with taking it off,

https://www.google.com/search?q=jamb...w&ved=0CDwQsxg

one may need some thing like an osolating tool on the ends

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry most likely wont work because if I am reading right you can get the door out currently.
                      Last edited by BHD; 11-11-2013, 08:21 AM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Not sure the type of tile. will need to find out.

Comment

Working...
                        X