X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt Battery Tool Torque?

Seems DeWalt changed their torque ratings on all drills & impact drivers to UWO's. (Unit Watt Out)

WTH? How do you convert that to torque or vice-versa convert torque to UWO for a comparison to other manufacturers.

Or was that the whole plan to begin with? Make it hard to compare?

Re: Dewalt Battery Tool Torque?

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
    Seems DeWalt changed their torque ratings on all drills & impact drivers to UWO's. (Unit Watt Out)

WTH? How do you convert that to torque or vice-versa convert torque to UWO for a comparison to other manufacturers.

Or was that the whole plan to begin with? Make it hard to compare?
    i think it was deliberate to not be able to compare.

Comment

I don't think it's possible to convert torque to UWO because UWO takes speed into consideration. Torque is only concerned with the energy required to START turning the bolt, etc.

Dan

Comment

I've seen the same sort of thing done for small gas engines. Rather than give a horsepower rating they rate the engine in watts, or something like that. Did they do this to satisfy the rest of the world, because h.p. is not accepted elsewhere?

Comment

HP lost trust because of Honda overstating their specs.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Does that mean honda can't overstate their specs in other values such as watts? I got $100.00 back as part of a class action lawsuit against sears because they overstated the h.p. of their lawn tractors. My briggs&stratton is not what sears or b&s said it was. Still h.p. is what most of us understand. Very confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Does that mean honda can't overstate their specs in other values such as watts? I got $100.00 back as part of a class action lawsuit against sears because they overstated the h.p. of their lawn tractors. My briggs&stratton is not what sears or b&s said it was. Still h.p. is what most of us understand. Very confusing.
              its all marketing bullshit. Like best in class, they are all statistical truth stretchers!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                HP lost trust because of Honda overstating their specs.
                nearly all companies over rated there horse power, and usually it took twice to three times the rated gas horse power to equal electrical horse power, the way they were doing it,

by going with watts it is a international rating and it is the amount of power the engine should be able to produce, (as with a generator), in theory (1 hp = 746 watts).
                the engines were not fully miss represented, but they were maxed out rating, and the engine was not able to continuously maintain that rate, (they killed the engine), the new rating is what it is able to produce on a continuously basis,
                The idea is so one can know what there buying, and have to convert from electrical, hp in to a gas engine rating, and vise versa, say you have a wood splitter, and it has a 8 hp rated gas engine on it, and you want to convert it to electric what size of eclectic motor would be needed, (using the old method a 3 Hp eclectic should do fine, (so how can one be a 3 and one be a 8 yet they produce the same working power,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When we have to get air permits from the State DEP for stationary engines powering equipment
                  like pumps, welders, or generators, we have to list the power of the engine in KW on the permit.

HP is on its way out. It will take a while, but it will happen, probably about the same time we
                  finally accept the Metric System.

How many were told in grade school that the Metric System
                  is coming in just a few short years?
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I say fight progress, reject this rating, reject the metric system, cell phones, the Internet. Go back to the way things were done in the 60's, life was so much simpler. People watched where they were driving (even if they were drunk), families talked to one another instead of texting, kids played outside. I'm half joking but what I'm seeing is not what I call progress!

Comment

How many were told in grade school that the Metric System
                      is coming in just a few short years? [/QUOTE]

i was told that in grade school. I was also told by my ex-wife the US and only one other country uses our system of measure, a country i never heard of. Ok i looked it up, Liberia, Myanmar and of course, the United States of America.
                      Last edited by pesciwasp; 12-20-2013, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I have the "metric discussion" with a Danish neighbor from time to time. He claims that the U.S. could advance technologically if we would get in sync with the rest of the world. I like to point out that we were able to put a man on the moon, invent the automobile, the airplane, the transistor, the computer, the telephone, and the foundations for every other technological achievement in the world - all while using "our" system of measure.

Denmark uses the metric system. They invented the paper clip.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X