How to store batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store batteries

After a several month hiatus from the wood shop, I return to find that several of my cordless tool now have batteries that are not recharging. They are all several years old so it is no surprise to me.

So my question is, how should one store batteries that are going to sit idle for periods of time. Disconnected from the tool? Fully charged? Discharged as much as possible?

Most of mine are NiCads....

Re: How to store batteries

you've answered your own question I belive.

I think most manuals will tell you to store batteries disconnected from the tool at all times
    and fully charged if they will be not used for more than a day or two. They also should be
    kept in a warm but not hot place. Temperature extremes are bad for batteries. If they are
    cold then warm them up by placing them in an area with a temp between 50 and 80°F and
    allow enough time for the battery to warm up completely which could take a couple hours.

My shop is in my garage. I keep a charger in the shop and one in the house. During the winter
    I keep my batteries indoors (basement) where the temperature stays above 55. Its a pain but
    I go and grab the batteries I need before heading to the shop in the winter. Around here that's
    about 3 or 4 months of the year so not too bad.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Re: How to store batteries

It actually varies depending on the battery type( nicad, lithium,NIMH etc) and chemistry. I've heard it's best to store nicads fully charged, while lithiums don't do so well fully charged and not used within a certain time. Lithiums also suffer from "deep discharge syndrome" where they will not take a charge is left discharged too long. My lithiums must be kept above a certain temp to function well, they hate the cold. Now I hear that newer chemistry litiums are fine in the cold? Early NIMH batteries did not hold a charge well, whereas the newest ones can hold a charge for a year or more! So much is changing that we must try and stay current, and informed. I find maintaining all my batteries to be a chore, but I love it.

Comment

Working...
      X