Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new batteries for old tools..what should I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new batteries for old tools..what should I do?

Hello all,

I believe I bought the first cordless combo kit(18 volt hammer drill, sawzall, circular saw, twin battery charger and light) ridgid sold from Home Depot somewhere around year 2000. I also have a 12 volt drill I bought not soon after. All batteries are the slide type and Ni-Cad.

The batteries have been toast for awhile now but I've been getting by with them though it's a pain in the butt. I didn't register nothing back then and can't find the receipts either(which is NOT like me!).

I want to get 2 new 18 volt Li-ion batteries and two 12 volt slide batteries(which I can only find in Ni-cad). I will also need a new charger as mine only charges Ni-Cad. Just wondering what my best options are. The tools themselves are fine and still working great. I'm just a DIY'er, tools aren't used in a business or anything and sometimes sit for months without being used. Home depot currently has the 18 volt Li-ions for $50 each and a charger for $50. That puts me at $150 for the 18volts. Or I could be that fuego drill which comes with I think two 18 volt batterys, charger, and drill. Seems I can only get the 12 volt slide batterys thru ebay or some other internet site. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas about what I could do. The goal again is to replace two 18 volt ni-cad batteries, two 12 volt ni-cad slide batteries, and a charger. All my tools are still in great shape and there is no need to replace them.

Thanks,
    Ron

Re: Need new batteries for old tools..what should I do?

One other option instead of buying new batteries and charger would be to send your existing batteries somewhere to be rebuilt. There are any number of places that do that and a Google search would be an easy way to find them. I have no experience with this company so don't take this as a recommendation but it will give you some idea of what your cost would be .Tool Battery Rebuilds: $14/7.2v, $19/9.6v, $24/12v, ...and more.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

My choice would be to use Batteries + to rebuild the 12V. They guarantee they will be better than the original and the price is decent.

For Lithium Ion batteries I'd buy a kit, register the kit so that you get the LSA and ebay or otherwise sell off the parts you don't want. This would give you two batteries, a charger, and a stand alone tool to sell and recoup some money. The LSA is not offered for lone batteries.

Personally, I'd buy the compact dual kit with drill, charger, and radio. I guarantee you'll be glad you got the impact and use it over the drill in most cases, and the compact 18V you'd have will make you give up on the 12 volt drill. They are comparable in size and feel, but not even close in performance.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I will be checking out the rebuild places and also looking at the kits.

rofl- which kit are you talking about? The one that comes with two drills and a radio and charger for $199? And how good are those 'impacts' that come in these kits these days? What do people use those for? I was doing a job with my dad, he had a new 12 volt dewalt 'impact'. That thing wouldn't budge some of the bolts we were taking out. My 18 volt hammer drill on the #1 setting took out those bolts like nothing. I figured the 12volt impact should have taken them out no problem as it is an impact and its 12 years newer than my stuff.

I do like the idea of getting the new kit and maybe selling off stuff I don't need anymore.

Question. How much better will those Li-ion batteries be than the Ni-Cads? My circular saw and sawzall have always killed the ni-cads pretty quickly. I have no experience with the Li-ions in cordless tools. Just curious.

Thank you all!
        Ron
        Last edited by rferoni; 01-01-2014, 03:51 PM. Reason: added questions

Comment

Until a year ago the cordless drill was the most important tool I owned. The impact driver has taken it's place for everything except boring holes. It is smaller, lighter, and has more power than the drill does. I would trust the impact for most driving short of Lag Bolts. They came out with a 1/2" driver I can use on those now.

I have totally ditched my 12 volt stuff. The compact 18V line is similar in size and ergonomics to the 12V you have but destroys it in productivity. Plus you no longer have to maintain two battery sizes. Having 3 of one size is better than having 4 in two sizes in my opinion.

If money was not object I'd suggest a new X4 combo kit since all of the tools have had improvements. But short of that I'd get the bonus radio kit. The only drawback will be the lack of a larger battery. Run times double with the big batteries. On drill and drivers it doesn't matter much, but on recips and circular saws it does.

RIDGID 18-Volt X4 Hyper Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit (3-Tool) with Radio-R9601 at The Home Depot

This kit is $70 more but it has the newer hammer drill and 1 large battery as well as 1 compact battery.
          RIDGID 18-Volt Hammer Drill and Impact Driver-R8611501KP at The Home Depot

And buying a kit and selling what you don't need is a missed opportunity if you don't register it. It's easier than it's ever been now so don't miss out if you go that route.

Comment

Buy a new kit, many new improvements over tools and batteries

Comment

Originally posted by rferoni View Post
              Hello all,

I believe I bought the first cordless combo kit(18 volt hammer drill, sawzall, circular saw, twin battery charger and light) ridgid sold from Home Depot somewhere around year 2000. I also have a 12 volt drill I bought not soon after. All batteries are the slide type and Ni-Cad.

The batteries have been toast for awhile now but I've been getting by with them though it's a pain in the butt. I didn't register nothing back then and can't find the receipts either(which is NOT like me!).

Ron,

I believe I am correct in saying that TTI did not introduce their "Ridgid" line of tools until late summer or early fall of 2003. Prior to the introduction of these "orange" tools, the Ridgid brand of wood-working tools was primarily for benchtop and stationary products. (Ridgid did of course manufacture a large line of plumbing and electrical tools however.) The old line of tools were gray with red-orange trim. In 2003 TTI entered into an agreement with Emerson Electric to have TTI (Techtronics International) manufacture a new line of portable tools using the "Ridgid" brand name. Also included in this agreement was many of the older stationary tool designs. The color scheme was changed to "orange" with gray and/or black trim. To introduce this new line and to garner customer confidence, there was an introductory period in which all tools would be covered by a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement".... purchases made prior to January, 2004 were automatically covered, with no registration required. IIRC, that "introduction" was extended on month, until Feb 1, 2004. After that, and for approx a year and a half, there was NO LLSA offered at all. It was re-introduced somewhere around July 2005 and at that point the purchaser was required to send in a copy of the receipt and the UPC code from the product carton, with in 90-days, to properly register for the LLSA. (The same policy that exists today.)

SO... if you purcased those tools with those first three or four months of the 2003 introductory period, they should be covered by the LLSA, even if you did NOT register them. The problem of course is 'proof of purchase'... and to that I should mention that even if you had securely kept your receipts, they would in all likelyhood be unidentifiable, as Home Depot was using a thermal imaging system for all it's receipts at that time. The SN of the tools may be some proof but any old credit card records may well be helpful.

Best of luck to you,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                Buy a new kit, many new improvements over tools and batteries
                just not ridgid...
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  just not ridgid...
                  not sure why you say that.

Comment

because when you buy a tool you buy a package. that package includes the tool, the parts, the accessories, the support and the service. in ridgid's case:

- the power tools and parts are good
                    - the accessories are mediocre
                    - the support and service are about the worst out there

yes, yes, i know TTI is not Ridgid. but they are representing Ridgid and do a very poor job of it. i hear many many people complain more about how bad it is than how good it is.

so, if you like decent power tools that have no good support behind them, then buy Ridgid and dont complain when it pukes and takes months of wait and lost paperwork and the dashboard warranties change without notice, etc.
                    ~~

Comment

just not ridgid...
                      Wrenches are top of the line, tubing cutters pro press , cameras and some small rodder are really good but something about those darn power tools, never really liked um , now Dewalt sucks too, I bought all.miwaukee tools and haven't looked back.

Comment

You have to keep in mind that people that have bad experiences squawk constantly while people with good experiences rarely say a thing.

I don't have a bad thing to say about Ridgid tools. They have done everything I've asked. I've had DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, and Porter Cable let me down. I'd rather have a LSA that is a pain to cash in on than the warranty the others offer.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                          I'd rather have a LSA that is a pain to cash in on than the warranty the others offer.
                          I like having something written that doesnt change haphazardly when some third party deems it necessary. To each his own i suppose...
                          ~~

Comment

I like having something written that doesnt change haphazardly when some third party deems it necessary. To each his own i suppose...
                            I don't think we disagree, but I have never been let down by Ridgid's warranty. Given a choice of no warranty or one that "might" require some patience to cash in on......can you seriously say you'd rather just be out of luck?

Comment

If I knew everything before buying, I'd rather have a great tool with no warranty than a mediocre tool with hassles.
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X