Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new batteries for old tools..what should I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need new batteries for old tools..what should I do?

Apparently they sell you the mediocre ones. Mine have been great.

Have you asked for the good ones? They keep those in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      If I knew everything before buying, I'd rather have a great tool with no warranty than a mediocre tool with hassles.
      I dont depend on my tools for a living like you guys do but ive had one minor prob and old bats start to crap out, but issues were fixed quiclkly, cust service was helpful, and on top of it, my service guy picks up and delivers, and home depot fixes some stuff now. I will put up with a little for free bats!!

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        I dont depend on my tools for a living like you guys do
        that's the rub. HomeDepot/Ridgid want to sell to professionals. How many professionals do you know can have a tool go down and be without it for months, and also have the time to argue with some third party about when, where, and why? None that I know would do that. Those that do must have a huge shelf full of temporary tools for when their others go bad.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'm a professional and only my most expensive tools don't have backups.

Comment

So to get back on subject I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Called Batteries + they want $59.99 for EACH 18v battery rebuild and $34.99 for the 12vots. I told the guy they are cheaper than that at the store right now($50 each new at Home Depot for the 18volts) All he said was 'Thanks for calling...'. So I won't be going the rebuild route. Will probably just get the Fuego drill kit that comes with two 18v batteries and a charger. I know they are the slim style 18v batteries but I'm sure they are much better than the Ni-Cads ever were, no?

As for buying another brand tool, as someone said earlier I don't make a living with my ridgid tools I have at home. They have been fine for me the past 9-10 years. Not sure when I bought them. If I really wanted a good tool I would buy Hilti. We use Hilti tools exclusively at work(I'm an electrician) and they are the cats meow. They are bulky compared to the bigbox brands, but they have long run times and take a beating.

I may try and hunt up some credit card records but from the get go I didn't plan on trying to get anything covered under warranty.

Edit: Does anyone have experience with a battery rebuilder? I found www.toolbatteryrebuilders.com in CA. Total $120 for two 18v and two 12v batteries(all NiCd) not including shipping to their place. No charge for return shipping when sending 4 or more batteries. This seems reasonable to me, plus I could still use my chargers.

Thanks!
            Ron
            Last edited by rferoni; 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM. Reason: added question

Comment

Have you looked on E-bay?
              You will find many "new" and many Old/used batteries

If you are replacing the 18v nicad types I strongly suggest you get the
              new X-4 series 3AH 18V lithium ion battery
              They also have newer chargers

The newer 4th generation charger can be found at home Depot for $50.00

Cactus Man

Comment

I rebuilt my dewalt batteries myself. rebuild work just as well, and sometimes better than the originals due to technology or capacity changes.
                ~~

Comment

I did some brief research on rebuilding them. Not sure I want to spend the time doing it. My thinking is I got almost 10 years out of the original batteries. If I get another 10 for $120 I'm good with that.

Comment

Originally posted by rferoni View Post
                    I did some brief research on rebuilding them. Not sure I want to spend the time doing it. My thinking is I got almost 10 years out of the original batteries. If I get another 10 for $120 I'm good with that.
                    Makes sense but for $200 -whatever you can sell old stuff for, (ive sold dead batteries on ebay) you get batteries for free for life, with proper registration of course. Not sure if there are any left but a hammer drill, impact driver, 2 full size batteries, charger went to $199 on clearance.

Comment

Haven't seen that hammer drill/impact deal anywhere by me(southeast MI). That kit sells for $269 here.

Comment

Originally posted by rferoni View Post
                        Haven't seen that hammer drill/impact deal anywhere by me(southeast MI). That kit sells for $269 here.
                        Yeah my Columbus oh store is pretty quick to discount stuff. Keep your eye on it , it may go down

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                          Wrenches are top of the line, tubing cutters pro press , cameras and some small rodder are really good but something about those darn power tools, never really liked um , now Dewalt sucks too, I bought all.miwaukee tools and haven't looked back.
                          You mean the Milwaukee tools that TTI makes?

Who also make the RIDGID and Ryobi cordless power tool lines among others.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            You mean the Milwaukee tools that TTI makes?

Who also make the RIDGID and Ryobi cordless power tool lines among others.

TTI | Power Tools & Accessories

TTI | Outdoor Products

TTI | Floor Care
                            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-04-2014, 09:41 PM.
                            ~~

Comment

The new 4.0 and 2.0 batteries are awesome. They work even after sitting in my truck over night in -15° temps. The older lithiums, forget it. The hyper - lithium 3.0 and 1.5 are weak but do work but not very well. But the new hyper - lithium 4.0 and 2.0 work just as if they were pulled off the charger are room temp. Completely surprised me that they worked.

Comment

I had been wanting the RIDGID 18-Volt Hammer Drill and Impact Driver kit because of the higher capacity batteries, but it looks like they are gone. Tried multiple zip codes and nothing. Out of stock online and email info said the kit was not currently a production item, and is unclear if it will become available again or not. The drill/impact/radio kit has the 1.5ah batteries. May have to go that router.
                                The write up on the 4.0 ah li battery shows it is backwards compatible to all 18 volt Rigid tools. I have the R84015 X2 drill that still works great. Anyone know from real world experience that the new li batteries so work on the old drills? If so, I could get just the impact, maybe even the 1/2" model, with new batteries and use the old drill. Thanks for any help with this question you can offer. Jim.
                                At the least I'm Pentatoxic...most likely I'm a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X