New Ridgid R4512 help needed on some "minor" issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid R4512 help needed on some "minor" issues

I just purchased a Ridgid R4512 new from home depot and it looks pretty nice. I am a hobby woodworker and this saw works well in my work area.

However, I am having some complications and honestly I would return/exchange the saw if it wasn't so heavy and I didn't have to drive out of town for a replacement etc.

1. A fence bolt (one of four for fence alignment) was received defective. The square nut was threaded on in a manner that it stripped the bolt smooth. It simply fell out before any adjustment and the rip fence is unusable since that forth bolt is required for it to stay square.

I tried to find a replacement nut and bolt and no luck and refuse to rig up a makeshift solution on a new saw. I contacted a nearby repair facility (still out of town) and they are "apparently" ordering one for me (their confirmation is lacking on the matter and I am still in the dark). I know these things happen but it has been a week now that I have been stuck at this step and cannot finalize. From what I can tell Ridgid will not send parts and this is the responsibility of the repair facility?

2. Adjusted the trunnions to align the blade to the miter slot and in all honesty that was a very frustrating task to say the least. I now have it within 0.001".

The one thing that bothers me is the blade sits crooked in the throat plate about 1/8" off front to back. I am probably being too particular but it mainly bothers me due to how close it is to the edge of the insert which I will be using for a little bit. I am not adjusting it again unless absolutely critical and I am not so sure I can shift the entire trunnion assembly over any further since one bolt is at the extreme end already. I will be putting a zero clearance insert on later if I keep the saw. Thoughts?

3. Aligning the riving knife with the blade is also a nuisance since it appears as if the rear adjustment slot is about 1/16" too short to get it in perfect alignment (or perhaps the bolt tap is off?). I will play with it more and file the slot wider if needed but with all the other little issues of this being a new saw I feel a tad frustrated.

On a more positive note it does not appear to exhibit the dreaded blade shift issues, I don't really like the split fence rails but I have a spare aftermarket fence I can install if I decide to keep the saw.

Adjustments and tuning up is expected. However some of the alignment "issues" sit a little poorly with me. Returning the saw is a major hassle but not out of the question.

I would really like to do some cuts and am sure it will all be history. However additional hassle and some extra expense is needed to fix the matter.

Re: New Ridgid R4512 help needed on some "minor" issues

if you read the other threads on this and the other saws you will find it is a common set of problems. sending it back will either get you a 'no problem found' or a different, used, warranty saw with the same problems.

save your cash, take this one back and buy another manufacturer's saw. ridgid makes great plumbing tools. their wood working tools, not so much...
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks for the response, not what I wanted to hear but I can't say I disagree. It seems like I see a few positive reviews but most always seem to go back to alignment issues etc...

I am still not fully decided on what I will do but am leaning towards a return at the moment.

Thanks

Comment

I don't own this saw, but do have a couple of other Ridgid stationary tools (DP, thickness planer, and jointer) and too many hand-held power tools to list. I like their products, but I do have to admit that Service is a problem when it really shouldn't be!

I'd call Customer Service and see what they can do for you. Something like the stripped bolt they should be able to just send that out directly to you. I've had that same service desk send me a part for a defective Ryobi router and there was no problem or question about it at all (and it was past warranty!). I'd also bring these other issues to their attention too.

The 4512 is a twin of the the Craftsman model and I believe there are at least three different brand names that this particular saw is wearing... Ridgid and Craftsman being just two. While I wouldn't call it a "great" saw, I do think it is fairly decent for the price and certainly there has to be a few thousand of these out there. Unfortunately, they are all made in China, and though I'm not particular opposed to that country origin, there does appear to be some quality control problems. It is only furthered by poor service from Ridgid and the manufacturer TTI, who produces the tool for the "Ridgid" name.

See what Ridgid Customer service has to offer and then make your decision from there.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for that insight I appreciate it. It is so hard to not get nervous when there are so many angles (solving this before the 90 day return policy window being one of them). I just don't have an endless budget and need to choose carefully so I am not only stuck with a piece of junk but also something that may not be overly safe to use if it cant stay aligned.

I will give them a call and report back.

Comment

Haven't called Ridgid customer service yet.

I was in Home Depot today for something else and mentioned it at their customer service desk. I wasn't expecting any sort of solution. They do not have any repair parts and all they can do is have some guys unload my car if I brought it back.

Comment

I'd return it based upon the saw's history.
              You should then purchase a better quality saw you'll appreciate it in the long run.

This is not a power tool you replace often so buy the best you can.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks for the response.

It is going back!, I bought a new freud blade to try to see if I could better check the alignment etc. (I still measured from one tooth etc.) and I was going to try some cross cuts (since I still don't have a usable rip fence).

The alignment with the original (warped) ridgid blade and the new freud are now showing a 0.005" error and it looks as if the trunnions shifted etc. over the last few days (or I didn't have the blade at the exact height as before.)

After noticing this I checked more carefully with a dial indicator and there is the blade shift problem when the height is raised/lowered. About a +-0.004" I don't think that is terrible but it all is adding up.

I can turn it back a bit (as I have read elsewhere) and it falls back but if I crank it back too far it starts to go out again.

I want to find a reason to keep it. I like the size, price, cast top, wheels and "warranty" but the alignment issues are not only frustrating and counterproductive it is also not the best safety wise.

I don't want a saw that I feel I need to measure and check all the time for squareness. I want one I can use, trust and maintain.

Thanks everyone, I cannot keep this saw with a clear conscience and have started considering other options both new and used.

What a pain to disassemble, pack up and return something of this size and weight. I can now say I do not recommend this saw under any circumstances. It may be good for a week or a couple months but long term seems too unknown.

Eta: according to my date code it looks as if it was made 32nd week of 2013. I was hoping that being a newer build it would have these issues fixed.
                Last edited by Jk78; 01-11-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

it's sad to say but Ridgid-US does NOT listen to it's customers about tool quality, marketing, requests or development. Apparently the largest consumer market in the world means nothing and all the developments come from Europe or Austral-asia.

the problems you describe with your saw are common and ongoing.

Please update us with your next purchase, how it addresses your needs, and how it is different to the Ridgid product.
                  ~~

Comment

honestly? 5 thousanths of an inch and your rejecting the accuracy. we're not talking about a $50,000 cnc machine. we're talking about a $500. table saw.

I would think anyone getting 5 thousanths of an inch repeatability on a wood cutting saw would be thrilled.

ive owned 3 tablesaws and not that I measured them with a dial indicator, but wood is not a spaceship. I really think you're expecting precision from a $500. saw. it's not going to happen.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      if you read the other threads on this and the other saws you will find it is a common set of problems. sending it back will either get you a 'no problem found' or a different, used, warranty saw with the same problems.

save your cash, take this one back and buy another manufacturer's saw. ridgid makes great plumbing tools. their wood working tools, not so much...
                      It didn't used to be this way, their stationary WWing power tools were very good when Emerson made them, and for a short while after production went over to TTI and they were still based on emerson designs. Many people here consider the TS3612 to be one of their last best saws, I believe the TS3650 and 3660 were the last on the best which came a couple years later. Those models went out of production about 10 years ago. I had a TS3650 which I bought in Dec 2003 and sold in 2011. It was an excellent TS and I wish I not had not sold it but kept it as a second TS to my Unisaw.

Personally I don't know how good their current line of tablesaws is compared to what else is out there but have read here many tales describing setup and alignment problems such as yours.

Isn't there a telephone number in the assembly mannual they tell you to call if missing or damaged parts are encountered or do they tell you to deal with the local repair facility? In CA do you have the 90 days to return if dissatisified as here in the US? If yes then I would hold them to that. If the blade alignment issue and defective parts can not be corrected in 90 days take it back.

In todays market if I were to do it all over again and didn't want to spend the money for a full cabinet saw such as the Unisaw I would seriously consider a Jet, Powermatic, or maybe even a Steel City saw in the US$800 to $1200 price range and forget the low end entry level contractor models. The Sawstop is nice yes but even the contractor model starts at abour US$1500 which is crazy for a contractor saw I think. Any TS you buy in the 400 to 700 range will be at the same level of quality as the 4512 in my opinion. You might want to consider a good jobsite saw like the DeWalt DW748 or 749 or similar saws from Bosch or possibly the RIDGID jobsite saw but I think the deWalt is the nicest of this bunch. They run about the same in dollars as the 4512.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        honestly? 5 thousanths of an inch and your rejecting the accuracy. we're not talking about a $50,000 cnc machine. we're talking about a $500. table saw.

I would think anyone getting 5 thousanths of an inch repeatability on a wood cutting saw would be thrilled.

ive owned 3 tablesaws and not that I measured them with a dial indicator, but wood is not a spaceship. I really think you're expecting precision from a $500. saw. it's not going to happen.

Rick.
                        Maybe you don't see .005" as a problem Rick, but repeatability and varying alignment when the blade height is adjusted are valid concerns. That .005" can add up to when you put together a couple pieces. When cuts are not square you will have alignment issues during assembly that will frustrate you to no end. So returning a poor performing TS and spending a couple hundred more on a saw which does not have those problems does two things.

1. You get a decent TS that will not cause you to waste material or your time trying to keep it aligned.
                        2. You let the manufacturer of the junk saw know that you are not going to spend your money on a cr@p product with poor support after the sale.

If dollars is all that drives them (an assumption since their CS is so poor) then your only weapon is to NOT BUY and watch their sales and profits plummet. It sounds like they may have a case of Detroit Syndrome (we know what's best for you even if you don't think so), which the domestic auto industry has fought to overcome for many years and may now be on the verge of conquering.

As you said;

I really think you're expecting precision from a $500. saw. it's not going to happen.
                        So you acknowledge that this TS is a POC, I am glad we agree on that.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

You might want to do some searching on eBay or Craigs List for a used cabinet saw.
                          you should be able to find a 5 to 10 year old cabinet saw with much better quality than any current contractor saw for under US$1000, give it a little TLC, and have a very nice, quality saw.
                          the TS is the heart of most shops, don't skimp on quality. Drop another tool from your list or put off the purchase of some other tool if you can and buy the best TS you can. Don't 'settle' for something less than you will be happy with or you'll be kicking yourself in the butt from now until you replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            Originally posted by Home Depot Website
                            RIDGID 10 in. 13 Amp Professional Table Saw

To me, something that's billed to be a professional product should act as a professional product. I know hobby grade wood workers that produce some of the finest highest quality wood products out there and to be off by 1/32 of an inch would be unacceptable.
                            ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                              To me, something that's billed to be a professional product should act as a professional product. I know hobby grade wood workers that produce some of the finest highest quality wood products out there and to be off by 1/32 of an inch would be unacceptable.

5 thousands of an inch .005'' is not 1/32''.

1/32'' = .03125
                              1/64'' =.015625
                              1/128''=.0078125
                              1/256'' = .00390625
                              so as you can see, .005 is less than 1/128''. and slightly more than 1/256'' of an inch. do you really think anyone other than a machinist can tell or measure this small of a discrepancy? heck wood will shrink and grow much more based on humidity and moisture content alone.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X