Changing oil in CAT pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing oil in CAT pump

I have a 3000 psi power washer. Not sure the model number but it's got the blue Cat pump. I just bought the oil at HD, now what is the best way to change it?

Warm it up first?

Looks like there is no easy way to drain the oil as the plug is close to the chassis.

When I refill it, do I fill the oil to the middle of the sight glass?

Thx

Re: Changing oil in CAT pump

warm it up first, but make sure you have the water running too with by using the pressure washer for a few minutes.

it can get messy as the pump is tapped at the bottom and depending on the frame it might interfere.

ive drilled a metric screw that fits the threads and made a hose barb for some of my equipment. loosen the plug and then tilt the pump so it won't leak. then remove the plug and install the new hose barb with hose and tilt back to drain into a pan. keeps the cleanup to a minimum.

yes, fill to the center of the sight glass.

your pump probably uses about a pint for the small machine.

mine uses a gallon, but it's a large pump.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      it can get messy as the pump is tapped at the bottom and depending on the frame it might interfere.
      The sight glass unscrews.
      And the entire pressure washer can be tilted to allow the oil to drain out of the sight glass port.
      Just be sure to turn the fuel valve on the carb to the "OFF" position first.

But I always used a plastic drinking cup cut down to act as a ramp (so to speak) to direct the oil from the bottom plug (the black one) into a catch pan.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thx all. I was able to get both engine and pump oil drained with almost no mess.

I did however manage to fill up the pump to a little over half way up the sight glass. Just to the top of the red dot in the middle of it. The oil level kinda sneaks up on you.

Is that going to be a problem. It's looks like it will be hard to just drain out a little bit of the oil

Comment

Cant you get a turkey baster or battery type squeeze bulb and just suck some out from the top fill port. Auto parts stores cary them. Even a heavy duty syringe type to suck out some oil. Heck even the thumb over the top of a straw will work.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Wildduk View Post
            Is that going to be a problem.
            Nope. Not at all.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
            X