12" Sliding compound miter saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" Sliding compound miter saw?

The 10" Makita is a bit long in the tooth so I've been looking at 12" models.

DeWalt- generally I find them to be well built & like using their tools. In this case it seems to do everything great. Except slide. Which is a pretty important component of a SCMS, afterall.

Bosch- the articulated arm is smooooooooth and space saving. Otherwise-plastic fantastic for $800. Nope!

Festool Kapex- I am aware and while it has some neat features it is probably a better dedicated shop saw. Plus, for the price, whole lotta plastic there as well.

Makita- in my experience, over the last several years quality has declined while price has increased. Steadily.

Ridgid- What can you tell me?

Re: 12" Sliding compound miter saw?

I have a Dewalt DWS780 that is 12" and it slides.
    26+6=1

Comment

I find your take on the Makita's very interesting. My FIL had a LS1013 and I have a LS1016 and find the quality level of both to be very high. The price difference between the LS1013 and the more current LS1016 is hardly significant at all.

I wouldn't even put the Ridgid SCMS's in the same class as the others you mentioned.
      Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
      ------- Henry Ford

Comment

Dave-

most of my good Makitas are from the late 80's thru mid 90's; exception is the SCM ca 2005 which has been a workhorse.

There is a big difference between that time frame and when Makita shifted manufacture to China- quality declined. From that time I had two planers, a generator, compressor and tablesaw which were, unequivocally, garbage- and my crew, at the time, was not shy about lending their opinions!

I find your take on the Ridgid very interesting; what do you mean?

In the meantime- I've researched the Milwaukee.

In a perfect world, DeWalt would have the articulated arm and I'm in.

Comment

i just bought the ridgid about 4 months ago. i had a 12" craftsman that was not very accurate. i fitted the ridgid on a dewalt miter stand that i love. i got a free ridgid stand with the saw but gave it to my nephew because of the lack of rollers. back to the saw, out of the box on a 90 degree cut the laser is dead on. i am on my 3rd kitchen cabinet and all the face frame joints are tight. i have yet to cut miters because i have not started on any trim yet. now the drawback. the dust collection system looks like it was designed by a fence post. more dust goes out than in the bag. the only bright spot is you will never have to empty the bag. i have cross cut 13" wide 1/2" panels which makes it nice. it is heavy also, seems to have good power. laser is adjustable. i like everything but the fore mentioned dust collection. they are still selling this with the free mobile stand at my home depot

Comment

mongo-

from what I've read, dust collection (or lack thereof) seems to be a common complaint.
            I like the 13 1/2" crosscut capacity.

Does the saw head track straight and true? Deflection?

Comment

i really won't be able to tell til i start some trim. at 90 degree it is right on. maybe i am just lucky. i have three more face frames and a few other cuts before i start some trim. i bought a new 12" cmt blade but i have not needed to put it on yet. not getting any tear-out. probably just jinxed myself.

Comment

Thanks mongo-

I live nowhere near a Home Depot so thought I'd ask here; perhaps not many own/use the Ridgid which may say something.

In the interim I have looked at a Hitachi 12" which has an intriguing slider system. I used their old 8 1/2" model back in the late 90's-that was a helluva saw.

Comment

Working...
                X