X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Link Belts

Can anyone tell me if converting my drill press over to link belts will make the process of changing speeds any less of a hassle? The stock belts that came with my DP can be a real pain to adjust for certain speeds and I'm wondering if link belts might be just a little bit more elastic than the stock belts.

[ 05-14-2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

DAVE, DOES YOUR DRILL PRESS USE A NORMAL V BELT, OR SERPINTINE BELT? 1 OF MINE USES A V BELT AND HAD NO ISSUES CHANGING SPEEDS. THE NEWER ONE IS A 3 PULLEY SYSTEM WITH 2 SERPINTINE BELTS. THAT ONE IS A HASSEL WHEN CHANGING SPEEDS. DON'T BELIEVE YOU CAN RUN A LINK BELT ON A SERPINTINE PULLEY.
    RICK

Comment

RICK, my DP has normal V belts and is a 3 pulley system. The slide mechanism that loosens up the belts for speed changes just doesn't have enough travel to easily move the belts at some but not all of the speed settings. It can be a finger pinching pain in the &#!$ sometimes.

Comment

DAVE, THAT MAKES 2 OF US. IS THERE ENOUGH TRAVEL TO GET A BELT 1'' LONGER AND STILL BE ABLE TO TAKE UP THE SLACK WITH THE TENSIONER? I GUESS THATS WHY YOU WANT THE LINK BELT SYSTEM. HOW MUCH LENGTH IS CHANGED WITH EACH LINK? I FEEL THAT IF YOU CAN PURCHASE A V BELT THAT IS LOGER AND STILL WORK, WILL BE LESS EXPENSIVE AND STILL PROVIDE THE ORIGINAL DESIGN. WHAT HAS CUSTOMER SERVICE SAID?
        RICK.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
          IS THERE ENOUGH TRAVEL TO GET A BELT 1'' LONGER AND STILL BE ABLE TO TAKE UP THE SLACK WITH THE TENSIONER?
          Hmmm.....I'll have to look into that possibility.

I'd still like to hear if anyone has converted to link belts for their DP and if they made it any easier to move the belts around. Also, vibration is very minimal with my DP but link belts would probably help out in that area too.

[ 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]

Comment

Most all belts can be replaced in half inch increments. Check with Napa or Autozone for replacements and tell them 1/2" longer than original.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
            X