• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver

Hey All !!

Impact drivers like this one

or this

Cordless Impact Driver (Variable Speed, Reversible)

Are they good? The descriptions are amazing. There is a good demo here.

Any experience with this drivers?

Thanks for the help.

Ari

[ 05-16-2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Ari ]

i personally never found an impact driver (cordless) i liked. i tried a few, and although i have little use for one, when i do need it i expect it to work!

this is the ONLY time you will ever hear me speak highly of an "off brand" tool, but the best money i ever spent to get something i needed to perform on occasion was at harbor freight, and their chicago electric impact driver.

serves me well for what i need it to do. and as sad as it is, in my opinion, it works a hell of a lot better than its cordless competition!
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Hey Spacebluesonoma !!

Thanks a lot for your help and opinion. Unfortunately I can't find Chicago Electric tools here but I will try a non cordless Makita and let you know how was it.

Best from

Ari

Comment

no worries. good luck

if you are not happy wiht the cordless, and you dont intend to use the impact too much, check out

www.harborfreight.com and look for either item no

45252 or 31877

if i were ever to look back at a cordless, i would take a hard look at the milwaukee.
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Ari, i have worked on the makita the dewalt and the milw. impact drivers.out of those three ,from the feel and the workmanship on this line of tools i give the edge to makita (never worked on the bosch)and mt second choice would be dewalt. so good luck, jon.

Comment

I own 2 12v Makita's as shown and would never go back to using a drill/driver for driving fastners except very light torgue applications. They work good as drills too. The down side is they are loud and take some learning to get the technique down. Try one and you will see. Amazon has some reviews and they are all very positive.

[ 05-22-2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Benedetto ]

Comment

Thank you very much guys, for the help. Decision is made: Makita Cordless Impact Driver Model 6916FDWD.

Very soon I will be practicing with my new toy.

Once again, thanks every body.

Ari

Comment

An impact wrench really isn't made for driving wood screws or sheetrock screws into wood; they will torque the head of the screw right off.

Comment

I do not find a problem with wood screws, infact you will almost never srtip the heads and if you learn how to control it you can get hooked on the tool for most work. They are great for assembly of larger tools and car repair too. Yes, you can break screws if you use low quality fastners.
                  I do not use it for drywall or light torque applications. For drywall a screwgun is best because of depth control and speed or driver/drill can be used too . I like my DeWalt 7.2v screwdriver for light work.

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                    i personally never found an impact driver (cordless) i liked. i tried a few, and although i have little use for one, when i do need it i expect it to work!

this is the ONLY time you will ever hear me speak highly of an "off brand" tool, but the best money i ever spent to get something i needed to perform on occasion was at harbor freight, and their chicago electric impact driver.

serves me well for what i need it to do. and as sad as it is, in my opinion, it works a hell of a lot better than its cordless competition!
                    I believe the chicago electric impact driver is the Milwaukee. Buy the Milwaukee instead, since you get one extra battery for the same price.
                    I have had the Makita 12 volt (2.2 ah) for a week or two, and have used it a few times. It is better than a cordless drill for driving hard- to - torque fastners, like concrete screws. I wouldn't use it on any very big nuts or bolts, except to put on new ones. I will undoubtedly use it for lag screws, though.

Comment

Andrew !

I agree with you. I need the impact driver for medium torque applications like concrete bolts, large wood bolts etc. For low torque I also use a 7.2 V but from Bosch.

Best

Ari

Comment

Eagle has landed...

Makita Cordless Impact Driver Model 6916FDWD battery is charging until tomorrow for first tests...

I'll let you guys know.

Best

Ari

EDIT

Guys, you should see this.

Thanks

[ 06-05-2004, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Ari ]

Comment

The Makita is a very proven tool, I'm sure Ari will enjoy it...though any else considering an impact tool look seriously at Hitachi....mine has been put through hell and dropped from five stories and still work!

Comment

I have the Makita 14 volt impact driver that's pictured in your first image. Bought it new about 3 years ago. And all I can say is it's a FANTASTIC tool. There are few tools that I would rush right out and replace immediately if they ever got lost, stolen or wrecked, but that Makita is one of em. My primary use for it is backing out or loosening rusted fasteners that ordinary driver drills can't budge without stripping....the Makita just applies a short burst of it's impaction, and BAM the fastener is almost always on it's way out. Amazing tool. I highly and totally recommend this tool be in every tradesman's inventory of cordless tools.
                            D.M.

Comment

People here are discussing 2 different tools. An impact DRIVER has a 1/4 inch quick-change head for driving screws, lags, etc. An impact WRENCH has the standard 3/8 or 1/2 inch mandrel for attaching impact sockets and is used for tightening/ loosening bolts and things like that. I bought a 12 volt dewalt impact driver and love it. It just wont break off screw heads or strip them out. The impacting action makes for a nice drive. It'll drive a screw all the way through a board.

Comment

Working...
                              X