X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max HC vs. Regular Batteries

Apparently the X2 series battery powered drills come with a 'max HC' battery which is a NiMh type. The non-X2 drills come with a NiCd battery. The NiMh battery is generally considered to be a superior type. I got a 18v 3/8 inch drill for an Xmas present which comes with the NiCd. Past experience with NiCd batteries is that they will lose energy capacity over time and will need to be replaced within a couple years even with nominal usage. Question: Can I buy 'max HC' batteries when replacement time comes? and will the charger that came with my drill work for the 'max HC' battery? Also, what is the amp-hour rating difference between the max-HC and regular batteries? In the end it may be worth spending $50 more to get the 1/2" 18v drill just to get the better batteries.....???

Originally posted by mepolom:
    Apparently the X2 series battery powered drills come with a 'max HC' battery which is a NiMh type. The non-X2 drills come with a NiCd battery. The NiMh battery is generally considered to be a superior type. I got a 18v 3/8 inch drill for an Xmas present which comes with the NiCd. Past experience with NiCd batteries is that they will lose energy capacity over time and will need to be replaced within a couple years even with nominal usage. Question: Can I buy 'max HC' batteries when replacement time comes? and will the charger that came with my drill work for the 'max HC' battery? Also, what is the amp-hour rating difference between the max-HC and regular batteries? In the end it may be worth spending $50 more to get the 1/2" 18v drill just to get the better batteries.....???
    Where did you hear this? And why with free replacement for life are you planning on buying batteries?

[ 12-28-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: rrmcbride ]

Comment

I've seen the battery difference with my own eyes. On the bottom of the battery pack there is a recycling info sticker. On that sticker the battery type is shown. The X2s have NiMh designation, the non-X2x have NiCd designation.
      Ridgid's own product info mentions the maxHC battery (max high capacity) offers maximum run time - so it apparently provides more amp-hr capacity than the base battery. this is a good thing independent of any durability issues!

I've been told by HD that, in spite of what the owner's manual and box say, that I have a lifetime warranty on the drill because it was purchased before Jan 31, 2004. I sure wish I had a piece of paper that said this!!! Are you sure that batteries are included in the warranty? If so, this is going to cost Ridgid a bunch of money....

Comment

I have a R921 3PC combo (with the handle in the back) and the Designation on the little sticker on the MaxHC battery is NiCd. I guess based on your observations Ridgid may have different configurations out their. Sure would have been nice to have NiMh technology but makes no difference I'll wear out the NiCd's just sorta confusing. Might explain the different spec others have noted concerning torque.

Comment

Looks like they changed batteries as well as the side handle then...my R922 kits batteries say NiCd...

Now we see why they had that 20% off deal...I think if we try to return our kit for a newer one we will be screwed out of the 20% plus the 10% new card deal....smart move on their part....

Would of been nice if the Ridgid people on here had let us known about these changes coming along...I know they will say they heard it here first....

On the other hand really don't thing fast charging niMh is as good a idea as doing it to NiCd

Comment

The batterys were never NiMh, always nicad.

Comment

My max batteries are NiCad as well.

also don't know why you ask since they are covered under warranty.

Comment

My 12 v X2 drill has Nicads there is nothing wrong with that except the recycling thing. Home Depot will take care of that when I bring them in for replacement under the lifetime warranty. Here is a link with some comparisons on the two battery types.

http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page4.asp

I think Nicads are better for power tool use. I notice NiMh batteries die very suddenly where the Nicads wind down slowly. After using my drill a lot this past week I am very happy with the way it works and handles, it is a good tool. The locking carbide chuck is much easier to work with than the non-locking. It is a solid tool, and with the lifetime warranty and the price paid, very satisfying.

Comment

No one ever answered the question on the amp hour rating of the batteries. What is the rating?

Comment

I think that it is as follows: Standered batteries(non-x2): 1.7 amp-hours Max-HC batteries: 2.0 amp-hours

Comment

OK. So it appears that the NiMh batteries have about 18% more capacity, but when they go - it's light's out.
                      Are we sure the batteries are covered by warranty for life? So if I replace them in a year, the replacement batteries also have a lifetime warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by mepolom:
                        OK. So it appears that the NiMh batteries have about 18% more capacity, but when they go - it's light's out.
                        Are we sure the batteries are covered by warranty for life? So if I replace them in a year, the replacement batteries also have a lifetime warranty?
                        You seem to be the expert on NiMh batteries as no one else seems to have them yet....

Comment

This weekend....My father who is in love with Milwaukee tool used my 3/8 12 volt drill....the least inexpensive drill....We used it four over 4 hours with no problem and covered 20 feet with sheet rock...with #2 screws with too many to count......enough said....use the drill and spend more time worrying about something else....you have a couple thousand cycles left on the battery....

...Here is some good 3RD info on battery life.....ME I BELIVE IN NI-CAD BY FAR!!!!
                          http://www.mrotoday.com/mro/archives...lessFM2000.htm

"It is true that Ni-MH cells will run a tool longer between charges, but we've seen the number of times that battery can be charged is considerably less than a Ni-Cd battery," says E.J. Loferski, cordless tool product manager at Milwaukee Electric Tool.

[ 01-16-2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

Originally posted by rrmcbride:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mepolom:
                            You seem to be the expert on NiMh batteries as no one else seems to have them yet.... </font>[/QUOTE]Actually Yes someone else has them- My Father has a 24 V Makita set and it is NiMh. I opted not to get Makita, Due to the fact that I know Ridgid is a great name, so thats what I have- the 3 piece kit

Comment

That's interesting about seeing the NiMH sticker. I recently bought a 14.4 HC pack and it has the NiCad sticker on the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X