Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean sap on Table Saw & blade?

Hi,

Did a search and nothing came up. I've been using my table saw to cut redwood which unfortunately wasn't as dry as I would have liked. There's now alot of sap on it. Any idea's on the best method to clean it up? Additionally there's the hardened sap that's on the blade teeth. What's the best way to clean that off? Is there a liquid bath that I can use safely?

TIA,

Ray

[ 12-09-2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Ca. Wood Worker ]

I use Simple Green and get excellent result. You can find it at HD. I just soak the blade in the Simple Green for 10-15 minutes then take a hard bristle toothbrush or one of those bathtub cleaning brushes with a handle on it and have at it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Simple green works great but on an uncoated blade (silver colored) make a note somewhere of what blade it is because soaking it in Simple Green will tale off all the markings as well as sap. To remove sap etc. from the teeth I just use a tooth brush and a small amt. of SG.

Comment

In a pinch, I have used oven cleaner (don't laugh) with success. Spray in on, leave for 10-15 minutes, soft wire brush off.
        Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

Oven cleaner does work amazingly well on the 2 TK table saw blades I have. An old toothbrush cleans off the residue. It has a pungent smell, so use ventilation. Also, I've cleaned the top of of my saw with Butcher's wax (with 0000 steel wool). It has a turpentine carrier and the turpentine will dissolve the sap, plus you get a slick surface to boot.

Comment

I've had success with a number of things:

Goo-Gone, 409, Simple Green, Boeshield blade cleaner, WD-40, Dawn/warm water, and oven cleaner. Since oven cleaner is so much messier and more abrasive, I won't use it any more. I spray the blade with the cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes then a tooth brush or brass brush takes everything off in minutes. CharlesM from Freud suggests kerosese.

Comment

If the buildup on the blade isn't too bad I've had good luck using one of those scrub brushes with the handle on the top, the kind used for cleaning bathtubs. They make the job go much faster vs using an old toothbrush and virtually eliminate the chance of cutting yourself if you slip a little.

Comment

I cut down a 5 gal plastic pail so that it's about 8 inches tall. You'll need to put something in the bottom of the pail to keep the blade up off of the bottom but small enough so that you won't have to use too much cleaner.

Pour in Simple Green, it really works, soak for up to a half hour and then use an old toothbrush to finish it up. The blade comes out so clean it will surprise you.

I don't like oven cleaners, simple green is a much safer cleaner to use, it's non toxic and biodegradeable. I know women that use it in their laundry, go figure!

Comment

Will Simple Green do any harm to Freud blades with the Perma-SHIELD coating?

TIA,

Al
                  America:
                  The land of the free
                  Because of the brave

Comment

So far it hasn't hurt the PermaShield coating on my blades. However, I don't soak my blades for very long in the Simple Green. I usually just spray the blade, let it sit for a few minutes, and then use a brush to clean off the pitch. Once clean, I rinse very thoroughly and then completely dry all parts of the blade.

Comment

Last time I was in Sears, I noticed they were carring the Boeshield products. They were near the TS blades if I remember correctly. That was about a month ago.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X