Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS3650: Why doesn't anyone just paint the top?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650: Why doesn't anyone just paint the top?

I've had my ts3650 set up for a bout 3 weeks, and everytime I use it I have to worry about how much sweat I get onto the table surface. I've seen several types of products and waxes designed to keep rust away from it,but they always seem to need new applications.

I was just curious as to why no one suggests just getting some auto primer and covering the exposed metal? Is there some reason not to do this or some damage it might cause?

If the issue is the friction the primer would add, a little turtle wax should take care of any concerns with the way the wood slides across it.

I 'd just really like a good semi permanent ifx and was wondering if there was any reason _not_ to do this.

Thanks!

--james

Not a problem, but paint will wear and scratch so it will have to be renewwed periodically. You said wax the primer, so just wax the top. Wax will protect the top
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks for the response papdan. The day after I had put everythign together and run a few test cuts i noticed some surface rust had already started forming. And in one place, where a bead of sweat had fallen, it had already formed a pretty nice spot (maybe 12 hours later). So i busted out the 1000 grit sand paper and went to work getting it off. The next thing I did was break out the turtle wax until i could do some research on the other types of protectants. It did pretty well when it was just sitting there, but after working on the table for a few hours, its got another light coat of rust trying to grab a foothold. So it looks like for me, regular car wax on top of the cast iron just isnt thick/strong/resilient enough.

Thanks for the reply, at least i know I won't kill anything if i paint it.

--james

Comment

James,

I don't own this saw, but one of the "common knowledge" postings that I have often seen (for all of us Newbees), is NOT to use automotive-type waxes, as they most often contain silicones which will find their way onto your wood surfaces and thus cause you problems when applying most types of finishes. This also applies to lubricants that are used on woodworking tools.

If you do a search on 'surface rust', you will find several postings on the subject.

CWS

Comment

Regular car wax is a definate no-no if it contains silicone and I believe Turtle Wax does. The silicone can be transferred from the saws table and onto the wood and cause problems when you go to put finish on the project. Johnsons' Paste Wax is one wax that doesn't contain silicone and is alright to use on your saw.

Depending on climatic circumstances, paste wax can be a poor choice for rust protection. Products like Boeshield T-9 and Bostik TopCote do a much better job as a preventative. I've had good luck using Bostik TopCote as a base rust preventative followed up by a couple of coats of Johnsons' Paste Wax to make the tabletop nice and slippery.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I concurr with bostik topcote, i have never had to wax it to make it slippery, the topcote gets the job done for me
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I put topcote on about 1 year ago and still no rust. In more humid areas you might need to do it more often.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

on my saw i just use linseed oil. it doesnt hurt the saw and helpes the wood i just wonder why no one has said to use that???
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'll look into trying to find some topcote, I don;t even know where you'd find linseed oil. I guess HD might have some?

Comment

I have never seen topcote at HD. I know Rockler carries it. As for the linseed oil, I know there is two kinds, actual linseed oil, and the linseed oil with additives and such. The second is available at HD and probably most other places that sell paint and sundries
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                    X