Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer problem

Hello all,
    I just purchased the Ridgid jointer to go with my TS and planer. I am having a problem with the jointer that I hope someone can help me with. I have sent an email to TECH also....

If I am making a rabbit, it is uneven. The fence is about 1/8 of an inch different from the edge of the infeed table, to the edge of the outfeed table which causes the rabbit to narrow from one end to the other. Is there an adjustment for this? I have loosend the fence and retightened it, but this does nothing to help the problem.

Also, I seem to get very little shavings in the dust chute, it all seem to be thrown out by the cutter to the right side of the jointer. I am NOT using a vacuum with it. Any thoughs on this?

Thanks, Jeff
    If you don\'t know.... say so

I don't use the rabbit feature so I can't help there. Do you have the dust port up or down? If you don't use any dust collection, then you need to loosen the wing nuts up and slide the dust port up. It will probably be clogged and you will need to clean it out.

Comment

I remembered having to make this adjustment on mine. It is not in the manual. On the back of the fence, on each side is a post that a tapered pin fits into. Back the nut off that holds the tapered pin in place. Now you can back the nut off for the post and screw the post in or out to adjust the fence. You may have to adjust one side in and the other side out to get it right. Then tighten the nut on the post, screw the pin back into the post and tighten down that nut. I hope you understand this. I think once you look at it you will see what I am talking about. Let us know.

Comment

Ray, that did it! I had to remove the pin, rotate the "holding pin" one turn and re-insert it, but it worked. Thanks so much...
        About the shavings, yes, I have the plate up and it works for the first few passes, but then it clogs up and blows the shaving all over the place. Not sure why just yet, but will let all know when I find out.... Jeff
        If you don\'t know.... say so

Comment

I have not hooked mine up to a dust collection yet either. When it starts to shoot shavings out on the infeed table i know its time to clean. I shove the vac hose into dust port and clear it out or you can keep a 1x1 scrap about 2ft long to dislodge the clog.
          If you are just jointing edge of board it will take a while to clog, but if you are planing lumber it will clog only after a few boards.

Can't wait to get DC in my shop.

FYI- I bought this outlet from sears that works great. You plug it into wall outlet. Plug the tool you are using into top of it, and it has 2 outlets for accessories (shop vac, Light, etc.) Turn the vac on. When you turn on the power tool on it automatically turns the vac on. When you turn it off, it shuts down the vac.

Comment

AS A TEMP FIX FOR THE DUST COLLECTION PROBLEM GO TO HOME DEPOT AND BUY THE 2 1/2" HOSE TO HOSE CONNECTOR FOR THE RIGID VAC . THEN IN THE PLUMBING SECTION BY THE 3 AND 4" PVC FITTINGS YOU WILL FIND A FLEXABLE RUBBER FRENCO 3" ON ONE SIDE AND 2" ON THE OTHER WITH PIPE CLAMPS ON EACH END.
            ALL IN ALL IT WILL RUN YOU ABOUT 9$ US.REMOVE THE CLAMPS YOU WONT NEED THEM. GET THE FERNCO WET WITH SOME SOAPY WATER BECAUSE ITS A TIGHT FIT. SLIDE THE 3" END INSIDE THE DUST PORT AND SLIDE THE PLASTIC 2 1/2" RIGID HOSE TO HOSE CONNECTOR INTO THE 2" END OF THE FERNCO. NOW YOU JUST PLUG YOUR VAC HOSE INTO THE CONNECTOR AND YOU ARE IN BUISNESS. THIS WORKS GREAT AND YOU DON'T NEED TO MODIFY ANY FACTORY PARTS

[ 05-11-2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Conkle73 ]

Comment

Working...
            X