X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS1250LZ laser off 1/32"

MS1250LZ 12" Compound Miter Saw with Exactline Laser Alignment System is off about 1/32 of an inch. I use a scribe to mark the wood but it is always off the same amount. I am using the same blade that came with the saw and I have carefully read the Manual. Anyone have any ideas?

There is no adjustment you can make. The laser line, that the Ridgid saws and other makes of saws that use that type of a laser mechanism, is just a guide line and not the actual cutline.

[ 09-23-2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If it's not the actual cut line then what's the point of having a laser? BTW, I have never used a laser guide.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

For one thing, the type of laser that Ridgid has gives a consistant albeit not accurate laser line. Once you get used to using it you can be fairly accurate with your cuts. Other types of lasers actually provide an accurate placement of the laser line vs the cutline. Some of these however can be fairly easily bumped out of alignment rendering them totally useless until they are realigned. FWIW, I have a CMS with the Ridgid style laser on. If I had it to do over again would I spent the extra money for a CMS with a laser? Easy answer, no. When I need a cut to be very accurate I line it up with the blade. If all I want in a cut is for it to be in the neighborhood I use the laser.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
          There is no adjustment you can make. The laser line, that the Ridgid saws and other makes of saws that use that type of a laser mechanism, is just a guide line and not the actual cutline.

Comment

This is the response from the support people at RIDGID "Mr. Reilly:

There is not an adjustment for the laser.

I have used quite a few of the laser guide saws since we introduced them, and found the laser to be right on the mark with basically every saw I have used.

When preparing to make the cut, you make a line on your work piece where you want the cut to be. Are you using a carpenters pencil that leaves a wide mark, or a freshly sharpened pencil that leaves a fine mark? The mark, and its placement in association of where you place the laser line, along with the kerf of the blade creates a type of learning curve that may take you a few practice cuts to become familiar with the saws performance, and where you actually want the cut to finally be on your work piece.

With the miter arm in the full upright position and with the work piece you want to save to the left of the blade, following all safety rules turn the saw on and look for the broken laser line to appear on the work piece. Line your pencil mark up with the broken line, hold the work piece in place and slowly bring the blade down through the work piece. As you lower the blade you will see the laser line become fuller, and it may appear to move slightly to the left of the mark. Keep the work piece in place not letting it move from the original position you had placed it in when you started the saw. The blade should cut on the mark every time. If not, then the laser disc may be off its tolerance. Please contact your nearest Ridgid authorized service dealer to have the saw and laser checked and possible warranty replacement of the laser. If you have any further questions regarding the lasers performance, contact Ridgid technical services at 1-866-539-1710."

T.Clinkscales
            Technical Services
            OWT Industries

So it appears that the Laser should be accurate.

Comment

Let me again state that my CMS is not a Ridgid but its laser disc is the same as you'll find on a Ridgid. My CMS(Craftsman)is made by OWT who also make the Ridgid.

I just made three sample cuts on my saw using the exact procedure outlined by T. Clinkscales of OWT Technical Services. None of the cuts ended up being on my hand drawn cutline. All three were approximately 1/32"-1/164" to the right of my drawn cutline. I didn't take the time to measure accurately because what would be the point? The fact that all three sample cuts ended up not being accurate cuts was enough for me. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether or not the Ridgid's laser line is the cutline or not. IIRC, it was one of the moderators of this forum that first acknowledged that the laser line was just a guide line.

Comment

Working...
              X