How bout them Freud Routers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bout them Freud Routers?

If I don't hear nothing bad from you guys in the next day or so. I plan to purchase a Freud 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router FT2000EP at Amazon for $186. So what say ye oh wise and learned men? To buy or not to buy. That is the question.
    If a butterfly didn\'t have wings, they\'d call it a butterwalk.

Post this question on woodnet forums, they get a bit more traffic than this site.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...reads.php?Cat=

Jake

Comment

I'm looking around at routers too, planning on buying my first one soon. Found a review of the Freud vs. a big (3 1/2 hp) Porter-Cable on line somewhere. If I get a chance later today I'll post the URL.

I had been leaning toward the Freud, because of good reputation and great price. The review confirmed reputation and quality. The Freud is a good router, beyond any doubt, but there are limitations that we newbies might not notice. It has a smallish and square hole in the base plate. The guy reviewing noted that the template, sub-base, or guide screws also could hit a very wide bit. In fact the bit he showed was a Freud bit (BTW, the bit set he took it from cost more than the router!) There was also a problem with the depth with these very big bits attached, I think. Something about having very little clearance between the plastic subbase and the bit.

Heck, now I'm getting confused. I'll go find the URL and edit this in a few minutes.

Okay, here's the URL to the review that pointed out the limitations of the Freud router:

http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/router.html

Must point out that I don't know the first thing about routers, but would think that if you can live with the limitations of the Freud, then it is a very good deal for a good router. FWIW, last night I asked a friend who owns a cabinet shop for his recommendations. He said if you want high-end, Porter-Cable. Else, Sears, "'Cause you can always take them back if there is a problem."

[ 01-14-2004, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Scott C. ]

Comment

I've heard nothing but good things about teh Freud routers. Only heard one bad thing and that was about the linitations on large bit sizes fitting through the hole in the base. Other than that, the machine is a beast and well worth the $$. I played with one a year or so ago and was impressed even more after I held it.

Comment

I've had the Freud for about 2 years now and it's done everything I've asked it to. The VS and soft start are nice features. Some of the $300 routers are a bit nicer, but won't necessarily give you better results. It's true that the throat opening won't accommodate a large panel bit, but you can easily compensate for that with technique.

Budget dictated that I buy the best value I could, and I swung the Freud for $175. The only other consideration in this price range and size was the Hitachi. The price of the Hitachi has gone down to where it is frequently on sale for in the $150 range or less, so I'd be looking seriously at that one to be honest. That's not a knock against the Freud, just a matter of economics and value.

FWIW - You'll rarely hear a negative comment about either of them, other than the throat size.

Comment

any idea who makes it for Freud?

caspian

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies. I went to the Tool King store and got talked into the PC 7518 ($280+tax) about $100 more than the Freud. That took my beer money for the next month. I happen to like beer. This PC router is heavy but it just feels so good. Well I'm on my way to my brother-in-laws house and show him my new machine and drink his beer. He'll be seeing a lot of me the next 4 weeks. Cause I'm broke as the Ten Commanments. Once again thanks.
              If a butterfly didn\'t have wings, they\'d call it a butterwalk.

Comment

I have 2 of the Freuds, both mounted in router tables. Never used either free hand. The base plate was removed to fit the lift system. I've had not problem mounting large bits. I am perticularly impressed with the power they have at low speeds. The torque range is very wide. The self release collets are a plus along with the shaft lock for one wrench bit changes.

The shape and size of the router and the ease of the excess components not needed for table use are very easily removed. For free hand work it comes with a clear dust collection chute. Easy on/off as well. Both mine came with a free micro adjust fence. Someday I may find out how well they really work. But are equal to the PC micro fence IMO.

I use to comment on a brands track record. The last 6 months have tought me not to do that. But I will say I would not hesitate to buy another FT2000. Very strong, well balanced machines for table use as I know first hand.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

What do you guys think of the new Porter-Cable 890 series.

Also, have read that a "D"-handle is better for dovetail work where there is a lot of back-n-forth cutting. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C.:
                    What do you guys think of the new Porter-Cable 890 series.

Also, have read that a "D"-handle is better for dovetail work where there is a lot of back-n-forth cutting. Is that true?
                    a serious wood worker at work would only buy the PC even if it was a hundred or more over the cost of the Freud. he said the accessories PC offer make it much more versitly. he also said if you go to any cabinet manufacturer all you will see is PC tools. if anyone would know their stuff it would be the guys who do it day in and day out.

if you plan on mounting it on a table 100% of the time, the Freud may be a better buy.

caspian

Comment

Working...
                    X