Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Amana and Rockler bits and am satisfied with both. Use a cheap bit then use a good bit and you will notice the difference. I do not know who makes Rocklers bits but they look identical to the Amanas.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Thanks Sgt. Beavis. They are carbide so I will hope for the best.

Thanks again for your response.

Benttwigg

Comment

Originally posted by manhusbandfather:
        I checked out House of tools. Seems they have mostly their Canwood brand. I am not sure about the Whiteside brand. Perhaps the cheap plastic wrapping they come in throws me off.
        Lee Valley has nice bits and I am wondering if the Artisan Precision brand easily found on ebay are the same (both green, both share the same photos, both show the result of each bit on a piece of wood...). The price is quite different then Lee Valley. Anyone know if there is a relation?

Comment

Originally posted by manhusbandfather:
          I checked out House of tools. Seems they have mostly their Canwood brand. I am not sure about the Whiteside brand. Perhaps the cheap plastic wrapping they come in throws me off.
          Lee Valley has nice bits and I am wondering if the Artisan Precision brand easily found on ebay are the same (both green, both share the same photos, both show the result of each bit on a piece of wood...). The price is quite different then Lee Valley. Anyone know if there is a relation?
          Lee Valley Router Bits are made in Taiwan. Kao Jen Tools - Artisan Router Bits are made in China, and are Lee Valley look alikes. Coated Green to make one think they are Lee Valley and get a better price for them. Not a good idea of them to use Lee Valleys images though.

Comment

I have bought several of the Porter-Cable bits and would compare them as equal to my Freud bits.

Comment

Whiteside, American Eagle, CMT, Freud, Amana...all cost more....all should last longer. It's really hard to compare bargain bits and top shelf bits until there's considerable mileage on them. The value bits are fine when they're new and sharp, but they will dull faster on average.

Comment

With the cheaper bits has anyone had success with running a diamond hone across them after each use to extend there life? I bought a molding bit from Blades-n-Bits and it worked great for the 88 ft of MDF I ran, but I think a quick sharpening could do it some good.
                Measure twice...Cut once..I always forget that one!

Comment

Mccoy

what you want to get your hands on in lieu of the diamond sharpeners is a natural arkansas slipstone. great investment for the money
                  I have an extra hard i was getting ready to list on ebay and have access to some softs. either a slip stone or a pocket stone will do great!
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

A 1200 'grit' diamond hone does wonders for touchup, I rarely have to take by bits to the professional sharpener anymore.
                    BTW Ed you need diamond to cut carbide. The carbide will wear a groove in your stones

Comment

WB

I wasn't thinking. My CMT forstner bits are high speed steel not carbide. I wasn't thinking.

As usual WB gets a point!
                      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                      X