X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality router bits

I am looking for the best router bits that will last a lifetime (Yes they will have to be sharpened once in a while). Can anyone give me any recomendations? I read about a line of bits made by Infinity and would like to know if anyone has any comments of these as well.
    http://www.infinitytools.com/index.html

I am looking for bits to go on my Triton 3 1/4hp (15a).

Thanks guy and gals!
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

I like the Freud bits. They are top quality and have thicker carbide than most of the other bits. CMT is also a good choice. No experience with the infinity bits but they seem to get good magazine reviews

Comment

You can't go wrong with Whiteside bits. I don't know about a lifetime as far as useage goes but there is plenty of carbide on the Whiteside's to allow for multiple resharpenings. As with any blade or bit, the quality of work done by the sharpening service will be a big factor in the life expectancy of any bit.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I thought some of you would say CMT. Thing is they are not easy to find.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by manhusbandfather:
          .......... would say CMT. Thing is they are not easy to find.[/QB]
          Have you tried House of Tools?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Whiteside and Freud are the best bits I've used. I've heard good things about Amana, CMT, and Infinity too.

Comment

I checked out House of tools. Seems they have mostly their Canwood brand. I am not sure about the Whiteside brand. Perhaps the cheap plastic wrapping they come in throws me off.
              Lee Valley has nice bits and I am wondering if the Artisan Precision brand easily found on ebay are the same (both green, both share the same photos, both show the result of each bit on a piece of wood...). The price is quite different then Lee Valley. Anyone know if there is a relation?

Comment

While the higher end bits(Amana,freud,viper,etc)are going to give you good quality, you can also get great bits for less money like MLCS. they make a great bit for the money.

Jeff
                Jeff

Comment

Whiteside, Freud, Amana and CMT seem to be at the top with Whiteside being the #1 choice in about every test I've seen. Also seems that bits that are made in places like the US and Italy fare better than those made in Oriental countries. Perhaps the cost is the reason. In any event, I have Whiteside bits, a few Freuds, Amanas, and chinese bits. The chinese bits seem to cut great at first, but I now am starting to see some tear out from my dado bits.

Comment

Sorry to say I've only had cheap bits from
                    Harbor Freight. What I have used them for
                    they have done ok. My wife just surprised
                    me with the 30 piece set of bits from sears.

Have any of you had experience with these bits?
                    Are they as bad as Harbor Freight? Let me
                    know if it is bad news, I can take it.

Thanks guys!

Benttwigg

Comment

I swear by CMT. can be hard to find though. the best mail order place i have found is sommerfield's tools. they can also be found at berlands house of tools in illinois, carbide.com in ventura california, and believe it or not most specialty woodworking shops i have visited carry them as well. they seem to have the biggest selection of bits (cmt) and the teflon coating is awesome! there are other good bits out there, amana, whiteside, and freud come to mind. also, rockler's house brand seems to be a quality product. but for my shop, it is cmt, primarily because i am all about loyalty, if i find a quality brand i like i stick with them!
                      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I just bought a set of 66 1/2" shank bits from Woodline for $189. Comes in a wall mountable wooden box. I have used a few of the bits and they seem to be a good buy. Also bought the Set for Stile and rail, raised panels, glus joint etc. Created 4 oak cabinet doors with them. No problems. They have 52 sets to choose from or you can buy individual bits.

Has anyone else used these bits?

SEE WOODLINE.COM

Bucko!

Comment

Originally posted by benttwigg:
                          Sorry to say I've only had cheap bits from
                          Harbor Freight. What I have used them for
                          they have done ok. My wife just surprised
                          me with the 30 piece set of bits from sears.

Have any of you had experience with these bits?
                          Are they as bad as Harbor Freight? Let me
                          know if it is bad news, I can take it.

Thanks guys!

Benttwigg
                          Are they carbide or high speed steel?

If they are carbide, then they MIGHT be worth keeping. If they are high speed steel, you are wasting your time.

Comment

I bought a set from this site and those that have used these bits are very pleased.
                            http://www.bladesnbits.com/index.ihtml

I also have bought sets here and they are good also. The Katana line may be what you are interested in.
                            http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/index.html

Comment

Thank you Andrew.
                              I bought a set from Blades'N'Bits some time ago. I never used them yet but plan to soon. I got it at a good price since the paint coating on it was not up to specs. I ordered a catalogue from MCLS and also ordered a catalogue from Whiteside. I will take a look at them both and see who will be the lucky one. I am looking at Whiteside, Kanata, CMT and a few others. I will post some results later on!

Thanks to all for your imput and comments.

Woodwork away!

Comment

Working...
                              X