Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new jointer,dead motor

Thursday, could not wait to get NEW JP610 home and
    put together.This went fine.Ready to joint.I got 3 ft of oak 2 inches thick, beautiful! Shut machine
    off to admire slick cut.Turn board over, hit the switch,nothing but HUMMMMMMM???? Turn off switch real quick,Look dumbfounded, try switch again.Dead,
    dead, dead. able to turn motor by hand and all is free, no jamming. Any Ideas?? I have a 3612 that i plugged into the same outlets and this works fine as
    usual.almost afraid to call HD or Ridgid after reading all the possible hassles that may enter this dilemma.Can any body give me best avenue to pursue.
    this was to be used to make oak clocks for Christmas.

Fred Drake

Fred,
    Assuming you don't have your jointer on an extension cord, I would suggest the following. 1. See if HD will replace just the motor.
    2. Have HD replace the whole jointer.
    3. Get your money back and buy a different brand.
    You can try to fix it yourself but that should not be necessary on a brand new tool and Christmas is only 19 days away.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Take it back to HD. Then go to Sears and buy theirs and then give us a report on if it's better or worst than the Ridgid....Thanks

Comment

See if the HD where you purchased it will replace hte motor. If not, return the whole thing and seek a machine elsewhere. Other machines in the same price range with a nearly identical design are the Griz, Sunhill, and Bridgewood, but hopefully with solid motors. They've all received positive comments from users and mags alike. The Yorkcraft, Delta JT-360, and Sears have different style fence supports that are not as beefy, but still may do the trick for you.

Comment

Based on your immediate need I would take it back to HD and get a replacement under the 30-day return policy. I would then use the replacement through the Christmas project and make the decision on what to do long-term at that time.

I know many who have been very happy with their JP610s....You just may have had the misfortune of getting one that slipped through the cracks.

Comment

Fred---before you take it back, make sure the pulley or belt isn't wedged up against the cover or the pulley isn't way out of alignment----can have an affect if jamed up.

If that isn't the problem---is this one of the new "orange" models? If so, if there isn't a brand name (like Emerson) on the motor case---I'd take it back and look for a different brand. There have been problems reported with the new motor on the 3650 and if this is the same, for $400, I wouldn't mess with it. People are raving about Sunhill and Bridgewood.
            Dave

Comment

You know it sounds like the cetrifugal starter. this thing disingauges when the motor gets up to speed. it may be stuck. just fixed one on a yellow jacket vacumepump and the motor was an emerson.

Comment

The clutch has to be against the spring plate and may be out of adj. I also replaced the set screws to be flush on the clutch and fan which helped the balance. If you slide the clutch on the end shaft toward the pulley end of the motor,it will click when it hits the spring plate which will cause the start windings to work, tighten the set screw in that position. It is easy to do, you have to remove the end cap of the motor and the fan. Check the fan to see if it is running true also. You may have to straighten it as I did on both the jp610 and the 3650. You can test it before you put it back in the jointer. If it still does not start push the clutch further in and try again. The springs on the clutch release the start windings as the speed increases. HD also will take it back or exchange it if you do not want to play with it. I like the jp610 I have.

Comment

Fred---GreyGhost certainly provided you a load of information on fixing the motor----It seems very complete and don't doubt you could fix it.

It's really up to you, but frankly if it were me---I'd take it back and get something else----this is a brand new tool, and frankly I think a statement has to be made to Ridgid on the poor quality of their motors. You'll be doing yourself and others a favor. I mean, this is sold as and supposed to be a working tool, not a Heathkit (I know, I'm dating myself )
                  Dave

Comment

I can tell you first hand that the Ridgid JPO610 is a fine machine. I have one myself and I really like it. My skill level and appearance of projects has gone up since I bought it. I'm not really sure what I'd do in your situation. A new motor is likely needed, but would I want to drag back 200 pounds to HD for a refund or would I just take a chance and get a new motor?? Personally, I'd probably get a new motor. You could take it back and get a Grizzly, but may have the same problem or worse, a problem with the tables. I know it doesn't help, but remember that you can have problems from any MFG. You've already said how nice it works, so I'd stick with what you like.

Comment

I would ask them to give you a new motor on the spot. If they couldn't I'd ask for the replacement of entire unit or buy another brand. If you wait for a month or 2 on C.S. on the motor's arrival. My gut tells me that this would eat into your 90 day return window.

Jake

Comment

Thanks everyone of you for responding.I would have
                        responded same day but,Long story short we had a
                        family emergency that needed a lot of my attention.
                        The good news.Right after i posted I called the jacksonville HD.I got the Manager(surprised me too!)
                        He agreed a new motor should work right out of the box.He said"just bring the motor, if we can't plug it in and run it we have one in the box ready to be set up for display and it's yours if yours doesn't run.Went right to the manager and he had one of the
                        floor men plug it in,Nothing, this guy popped the end of the motor and voila! it took off with a pleasant whirr.The manager said it was my choice
                        i opted for the one in the box. plugged it in also
                        and pleasant whirr. And NO these are NOT the orange motors.This is also reason I do not want
                        mail order nightmares. With all the bashing of ridgid I did not think this was shabby treatment
                        that is espoused by so many on this site.Oh! does the jointer work?? like it is supposed to and right out of the box!!
                        Fred Drake

Comment

Thanks for the update. These are the kindof stories we are all looking for. If Home Depot establishes a pattern of this customer service moving forward, I would be much more partial to their brand. Currently I am not looking to purchase any of their tools b/c of all changes going on with tool company. But it's nice to hear this. B/c some of their tools do appear to be well designed. Maybe someday I will send some money their way

Jake

Comment

Did your motor say anything on it, the one I saw at hd tonight had made in tiwain right on it that kind of scared me away it was a grey model with legs, not a cabinet. Do I need to look for one with a cabinet? If I cant find one I may go for the Bridgewood. Does anyone know if they have a good motor in there units? I thought it was just the orange models to stay away from. Thanks need to get a jointer soon Chub

Comment

Working...
                            X