X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer dust collection solution

In time i will be getting a dust collector. I have several other items on the list ahead though. IN the mean time, i am trying to find a temporary functional solution to the problem. I have a JP-6010 so the flange is 4". HD (I am sure other stores sell similar items). I bought a rubber 4" to 3" reducer (with hose clamps, and a 3" to 2". I also bought a section of 3" PVC pipe. My plan is to hooh the two rubber fittings together with the 3" pvc, one end to the jointer output, and the other end is a perfect fit to the shop vac.

I have done a similar thing to my miter saw and it works great but the miter saw does not throw near as much as the jointer.

will the shop vac keep up with the jointer in this manner?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

If you take light passes especially when face jointing 6" wide boards it should keep up. They also sell an adapter to go from 4" to 2 1/2 shop vac, think they are in the vac isle at HD. I used a shop vac for about a month before I got tired of the clogs because I didn't empty the vac soon enough

Comment

Space

I just attached a 4" to 2.5” adapter with duct tape and connect my shop vac whenever I use the jointer. As Brokes stated, when face jointing you need to take light passes for a shop vac to keep up but when edge jointing it works great. I edge jointed a couple hundred feet of lumber last night and there was only a handful of sawdust on the floor and the shop vac was about half full.

Woodslayer

Comment

i'll have to go back and look for the 4" to 2.5" adapter from shop vac. saw no such thing...the plumbing items i bought cost me almost 20 bucks
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Back in the day (2 yrs. ago) I purchased the adapter kit. Works with 6.25 hp Ridgid Vac just fine after shortening the 4" hose.

Click here to see
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Before you decide on a dust collection system, you might check with me about a cheap, cheap way to do it, using HVAC components rather than the standard systems available. Since no one else seems to have ever seen one, I've been experimenting with mine for about a year, and it works great, and moves a tremendous volume of air—I sometimes worry it will suck the window pane out of the frame if I don't leave the shop door open...(grin) HVAC motors along with the squirrel cage fans (like you probably have on your furnace) can be picked up used for a song, but there are a few tricks I've learned (the hard way) about ducting and such. BTW, I'd be a bit careful with that PVC—it will build up a pretty good static charge from the chips and dust, and that can cause an explosion, especially if you also use and combustible products, such as acetone, lacquers, etc. Woodcraft sells a clear, reinforced, flexible 4" hose for about $15.00 per 10 foot length, and it won't build up static. My email address is slick868@(REMOVE THIS)easystreet.com. (PS: I'm not so 'slick'—that was my chopper in Vietnam...)
            Nolo illigitamati carborundum

Comment

AS A TEMP FIX FOR THE DUST COLLECTION PROBLEM GO TO HOME DEPOT AND BUY THE 2 1/2" HOSE TO HOSE CONNECTOR FOR THE RIGID VAC . THEN IN THE PLUMBING SECTION BY THE 3 AND 4" PVC FITTINGS YOU WILL FIND A FLEXABLE RUBBER FRENCO 3" ON ONE SIDE AND 2" ON THE OTHER WITH PIPE CLAMPS ON EACH END.
              ALL IN ALL IT WILL RUN YOU ABOUT 9$ US.REMOVE THE CLAMPS YOU WONT NEED THEM. GET THE FERNCO WET WITH SOME SOAPY WATER BECAUSE ITS A TIGHT FIT. SLIDE THE 3" END INSIDE THE DUST PORT AND SLIDE THE PLASTIC 2 1/2" RIGID HOSE TO HOSE CONNECTOR INTO THE 2" END OF THE FERNCO. NOW YOU JUST PLUG YOUR VAC HOSE INTO THE CONNECTOR AND YOU ARE IN BUISNESS. THIS WORKS GREAT AND YOU DON'T NEED TO MODIFY ANY FACTORY PARTS.NOW, THESE ARE PARTS THAT YOU CAN BUY TODAY AT H.D. BUT IF YOU VISIT "JET TOOLS" WEB SITE THEY SELL A 4" TO 2 1/2" CONVERTER FOR 7$ + SHIPPING. 6 OF ONE 1/2 DOZEN OF ANOTHER.BUT THE RUBBER FERNCO WORKS GREAT AND I HAD IT THE SAME DAY.

[ 05-22-2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Conkle73 ]

Comment

Working...
              X