No announcement yet.

circular saw opinions please

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circular saw opinions please

Well after more than 38 tears my circular saw has died. It was a 7 inch craftsman my dad had years before I was born. I know it to be at least 38 because I just turned. The question is do I really need a new circular saw. I haven't had a chance to use the one in my 4pc combo set very much yet. I have some 1/2 inch ply to rip but that isn't much of a challenge. Any of you realy on your 18v cicular saw much and how's it doing? I can't afford a circular saw and a 18vx2 battery so please give me some comments on the kit saw if you've used it much. Thanks John MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

If you want power,then try the worm gear drive circular saw.I think that Milwaukee,Skil(the originator),and Bosch all offer these.Makita offers a hypoid gear saw that they claim is more durable than the worm gear.Or you can just get a helical gear driven "sidewinder" saw that is made by just about everybody,including the originator,Porter-Cable.

98% of the time I do most of my circular saw cutting with my 18 volt 5 3/8" dia blade Dewalt. I don't own a Ridgid yet because I haven't killed this one. You will probably be surprised with just how much your cordless saw can do. Keep in mind that I'm not using mine to pay my bills or anything like that, just heavy DIY/homeowner/hobby use. Also check out Caspian's post under General power tool discussion - Performance Comparison of 9 18v drill/saw combos.
      Happy sawing,

Originally posted by JJC:
        Also check out Caspian's post under General power tool discussion - Performance Comparison of 9 18v drill/saw combos.
        Happy sawing,
        Thanks for the plug. [img]smile.gif[/img]

here's the link to make it easier:
        18V performance

You'll be happy with the performance of the 18V kit....unless you're left handed like me. i never really noticed what a pain it is to use right handed equipment until i did my test. i generally don't do that much bulk cutting. if you do one cut, then put your work piece in place and screw, then do another cut you don't seem to notice the inconvience. if you try to cut 112 2x4s in a row it's a different story.

Can't tell you much about the performance of the 18v versions.

First, are you pretty much just cutting down sheet goods? If so, maybe I can make a suggestion.

Sadly, unlike your Craftsman, the two I had barely lasted 38 months----first one burned out after doing a deck project---second one got out of alignment and constantly waundered off the straight edge.

I bought the PC 6" Saw Boss----just for cutting sheet goods and got a fine-tooth blade for it. Wow----runs straight as an arrow--no tear out----and it has a dust port that directs ever bit of sawdust away from your cut. A very impressive saw.

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt cordless circ saw that I picked up at an auction that I never used until I burnt up my el cheapo Skil circ saw. It does everything I need a circ saw to do. What I am getting at is give your cordless saw a chance and see what it can do. Maybe you won't need another circ saw. A good project would be a display case for that old Craftsman saw (after all, it was your Dad's) [img]smile.gif[/img]
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Thanks all, Caspian very informative, I'm not going to buy a new circular saw and am now questioning getting an extra battery. I drain one and the other is chareged well before I need it. I'm thinking a third battery would be a luxury I don't need. This leaves me a few funds for some mdf. I'm building my own thickness sander. I've several motors and considering the costs of a new one building my own is the only way to go. Thanks all John