X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VF6000 and lead paint

I have a Rigid 6 gallon wet / dry VAC. I am considering removing some paint from woodwork and remodeling a kitchen and bathroom. My house was built in 1912 and I have owned it for about a year. I have gathered that I should assume that lead paint could be involved with remodeling, and with removing paint from woodwork. I live in Oregon and apparently a new state law says that if I test for lead and find it, I am legally obligated to tell any future buyers, so testing for lead would seems to be out. I was wondering if the VF6000 filter would be sufficient to abate lead dust while remodeling and stripping paint. If I take the lead removal cautions recommended by the EPA, i.e. isolating the area, closing off vents, laying 6 mil sheeting over the floor, then rolling up the sheeting and disposing of it, etc., can I use my Rigid wet/dry VAC with the VF6000 filter to mitigate the risk of lead dust from construction contaminating the house? I have read that you need a HEPA vacuum for removal of building materials during remodeling of lead tainted materials, so would the VF6000 and my wet/dry VAC suffice?

The manual should tell you if is a HEPA filler, I do not know.

Also, wear a HEPA repirator while doing the work, wash hands and face before eating, smoking, etc and a pair of tyvec coveralls to throw away is a good idea.

Good luck
    Steve

Comment

diy----Why not use a liquid stripper instead. You're never going to get all that dust with just a vac, even if it has a HEPA filter.

BTW---don't know how Oregon's law reads, but here in Calif., you're actaully better protected disclosing ANYTHING that could be an issue---that way no one could ever come back at you for non-disclosure. But, to anyone with any sense, you got to figure in a 1904 house you've got lead and asbestos lurking. Good luck.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
        diy----Why not use a liquid stripper instead. You're never going to get all that dust with just a vac, even if it has a HEPA filter.
        I am planning on using either peel away or a Methyl chloride product. Nonetheless, flakes of paint potentially containing lead could still be around.

The remodeling project is in the kitchen and bathroom, both of which have drop ceilings that I would like to raise. No way around stirring up lead dust when you are ripping out drywall and studs.

My point is that I would like to try and clean up with a vacuum as much as possible assuming that lead is present. I need a HEPA vacuum to make this effective. This is my house that I live in and I want to take precautions to make sure that lead is not spread around my house. I was planning on following up after completion of the project with a lead swap test, just to be sure.

Minimizing lead during remodeling is fairly straight forward, but a HEPA vacuum is key to cleaning up, and hence my question above.

BTW---don't know how Oregon's law reads, but here in Calif., you're actually better protected disclosing ANYTHING that could be an issue---that way no one could ever come back at you for non-disclosure. But, to anyone with any sense, you got to figure in a 1904 house you've got lead and asbestos lurking. Good luck.
        Oregon's Law is fairly new. I am not a lawyer and have just read a few articles that basically said that if you know about it, you have to disclose. I think the law will be challenged in court and that will sort out more about what it actually means for the home owner.

Thanks for the replys so far. I am thinking that if the filter is HEPA and it makes a quality seal with the vac that it should, then I have a HEPA vacuum. I have found a few other references to HEPA vacs that mention buying filters for cheaper vacs. Our home vacuum actually has a HEPA, but I am not sure I would trust it for lead clean up. I really am not interested in owning a $400 HEPA vacuum.

Comment

Working...
        X