X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Quick Disconnects

Does anyone happen to know where I can get a quick disconnect fitting for my compressor that doesn't leak? I've tried the ones from Capmbell Hausfeld, Harbor Freight and Menards and they all leak air. Is there such an animal or is this just a price you pay for convience?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Dave, I think you will find it difficult to get fittings that do not leak to some degree unless you move to quick connect fittings designed for service other than compressed air, meaning the type widely distributed for use with air tools. Some of the other brands such as Milton _may_ offer better performance. You can find them at auto parts shops. I think they all tend to leak after they have been in service for a time.

If you wanted to spend $20/connection, which I know you don't, you can get 100% leakproof quick connects rated for up to 600 PSI from Parker or Swagelok.

Some minor leakage is to be expected with this type of fitting, its as you said the rpice you pay for the convenience.

You can download and view Swagelok's catalog for quick connects here;
    (This is a PDF file)
    Full Flow Quick-Connects, QF Series (MS-CRD-QF1)

Their web page for quick connects is here:

http://www.swagelok.com/category.asp...KCOUPLINGS.JPG

For Parker quick connect fittings, try here;
    http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=1798

[ 12-02-2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

That drove me nuts for a long time, I switched all my fitings to 3/8 "U" type IIRC. Problem solved. Keep a few of your old 1/4" type "M" to make an adapter incase you go somewhere and need to use your air tools on another compressor or some one brings an air tool to use on yours.
      These provide way more flow if you have any high demand tools

Comment

Thanks guys. If I can't find any of your suggestions locally I just might end up installing a ball valve between the quick disconnect and the pressure regulator. At least that would stop the compressor from cycling every 10 minutes when I have it turned on but am not using it.

[ 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]

Comment

I buy my fittings from Ace hardware and Sears. I found that the cheap ones from HF and such are cast aluminum (you can see cast lines down the sides)and always leak. The better ones are machined and smooth all the way around them.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I was in HD today so I checked on the fittings.
            The couplers pictured are 3/8" Type T (the ones I use). The quick connects are Type U (perhaps for universal) and will connect to all common 3/8" couplers (Type I/M/T)

Comment

Dan, all the fittings and quick connects that I use are brass. As this little problem with the quick connects has only started recently, I thought replacing the quick connects would do the trick but it didn't. I do have a Graingers' near my house, maybe they'll have something of a little higher quality than what I've been buying.

Comment

Wayne, speaking of HD, I was there the other day looking at the Husky quick connects. They appeared to be identical to the CH ones I have so I didn't buy them. While there I spotted what Husky calls a I/M ΒΌ" Swivel Plug. It's pretty much the same swivel fitting that Ridgid provides with their line of air guns. I picked up one for each of my nailers and stapler. They work great and sell for $1.98US.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I will have to have a closer look up here. I think you get a better air seal on the 3/8 fitting than on the 1/4" fittings

Comment

Dave,
                    The reason they look the same is because CH makes all the Husky air fittings for Home Depot.
                    And the Husky air tools are manufactured by Florida Pneumatic Manufacturing Corporation.

[ 12-08-2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Cuj0HD ]
                    Jeff

Comment

Re: Air Compressor Quick Disconnects

We use mostly milton fitings and if there is any leakage i have yet to notice it. We get ours from a local auomotive paint stor that seels tools and suplies to bodymen for profesional use.

Comment

Re: Air Compressor Quick Disconnects

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        Dan, all the fittings and quick connects that I use are brass. As this little problem with the quick connects has only started recently, I thought replacing the quick connects would do the trick but it didn't. I do have a Graingers' near my house, maybe they'll have something of a little higher quality than what I've been buying.
                        Replacing the quick connects is only half the equation the male fitting the fits into it wears out too. you gota change both.

Comment

Working...
                        X