X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning router bits

Purchased my first router recently and noticed that after some work with pine, the router bits had a build up or gummy coating on them. Any suggestions on how best to clean them?

[ 09-01-2004, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: bourne502 ]

Simple Green and a tooth brush.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I use CMT 2050. it is non toxic as well. spary on, let sit for a few minutes then wipe off the pitch. For stubborn spots either let it soak longer or use the toothbrush

Comment

I've successfully used Simple Green, Goo Gone or Goof Off citrus cleaners, Dawn, and Boeshields Blades n Bit cleaner. All seem to do a good job with a stiff brush.

Comment

Be sure and remove the bearing if the bit has one so that you do not damage it with the cleaning solution. I use synthetic oil inside the bearings to increase the lifespan.
          Solvent or a neutral ph cleaner is best as not to attack the braze on the carbide.

Comment

There is a very good test in a recent issue of Wood magazine IIRC. (the new one out) they tested a bunch of different cleaners. The ones that did the best were made for cleaning blades and bits. I also believe that there is a how to arcticle on router bits in one of the new mags as well. It could be Wood, but I can't remember.

Comment

Working...
            X