X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charger question

Maybe it's a stupid question but I just purchase the 18 volt drill (R84001) but when I charge the batteries only the green light on the top of the charger blinks, it stops blinking when battery is charged. My question is shouldn't the lights (power/evaluate/charging and full indicator) be working? please advise
    thank you

Plug it in and the red lights are on. Add a battery and the fan starts and red light(s) blinks, it will 'evaluate' for a long time if the battery is hot from heavy use or it is hot outside. When the charge cycle starts the Red light is solid and the green light blinks. When charge is complete the red light is off and the green light is on solid. Fan continues to run until the battery is removed

Comment

Thanks for replying to my question

[ 10-06-2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: pai4 ]

Comment

I also just bought the 18v combo kit and was wondering why the fan does not shut off once the pak is charged. Also what is considered a long time. I am a contractor and use the tool in the hot summer sun. If I need to recharge a drill battery after continued drill use and it is hot out, about how long? Manual says wait 90 minutes and if still evaluating battery is defective. I ask because of the 90 satifac. guarentee. I figure a 30 minute charge is GREAT however if the pak has to cool for an hour, what good is it.
        Thanks.

Comment

riy,

The fan will run until you take the battery of off the charger. The fan keeps the pack cool while on the charger. It still trickle charges the battery while on charger even though it says its done. Remember "HEAT IS THE ENEMY"
          Hope this helps.

Comment

I too have the dual charger but my fan runs even if there are no batteries plugged in. One side always has a flashing red light, i'm guessing this is not normal. Is there something I can do to fix this?
            Rookie

Comment

Doesnt sound normal Crawley, you may want to have it checked out. I know when my charger is plugged in and no batteries inserted, both red lights are on but no fan, when I insert a battery, or both, the red lights stay on, the fan comes on and the green lights blink. When the charge is complete, the fan stays on, red lights go out, and the green lights stay solid. The fan is designed to cool the batteries while charging, also to cool them down before charging. Anything other than that I dont think is normal and should be looked at to prevent damage to the charger and or batteries.

Comment

I have puchased a ridgid cordless jig saw which has a single bay charger. When I went to charge the battery there was no fan sound. Does the single bay charger lack a fan or is the unit defective? It did in fact charge the battery and nothing appeared to be overheating. Thank you.

Comment

I'm not positive but I believe the single bay charger is also fan-cooled. If your fan runs constantly, check to make sure the slider that activates it is not stuck.

Comment

The single bay charger is not fan cooled. Check your manual. As far as I know, only tools that come with X-2 batteries get the 2 bay fan cooled charger. I do think its odd that some of the new tools like the impact driver and right angle (both of which I would consider to be "professional" tools) don't come with X-2 batteries.

Comment

Thank you Bytebutcher. I did look at the manual and it really wasn't clear to me and I appreciate your letting me know that the single bay does indeed lack a fan. Also, isn't the battery a Max HC or not. I think the X-2 refers to the better class of drills that Ridgid offers which includes the Max HC batteries and the two port system. The jigsaw did include a Max HC battery but a single port charger. I assume since that is the case, the single bay is also designed to charge the Max HC. Just an observation.

Comment

Heat is the enemy but sucking dust through the charger and battery 24x7 when in trickle charge mode will lead to clogged vents and lack of cooling.
                        The fan should shut down when both sides are in trickle mode!

Comment

Rapid charge or trickle charge, heat is still being generated. Just take a vacuum to your charger once and a while.

Comment

either rapid charge or trickle charge, the units have to be charged once in a while, even not in use..

Comment

Is it okay to leave a battery in the charger for any length of time after the battery has finished charging? Or would leaving it be a bad thing?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X