Best Router for table mount?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Router for table mount?

I have just completed a table saw extention with router mounting plate, and am in the market for a new router. I thought I'd found the ideal in the PC895, but one scathing review at Amazon turned me off. I then considered the DW625 - same thing, a scathing review. Milwaukee 5625 - same song.

Isn't there a decent router availabe for table mount? What experience have you 'old pros' had?

A short while back one of the WW magazines did a review of 3HP routers in search of the best one suited for table use and according to them the Milwaukee 5625 dethroned the PC 7518 as the best router for mounting.

Woodslayer

Comment

I doubt that there has ever been a product made that someone didn't give a bad review. One or two bad reviews is just that and is to be expected. Porter-Cable, Hitachi, Freud and Milwaukee have all received overall high marks for their routers.
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Lefty,
        The best under-the-table router is a dedicated motor mounted in a quality router lift. There's no substitute if you're looking for precision height adjustment and ease of use. The rack and pinion style bases will always have some slop when you release the clamp to adjust the height. The motor falls over sideways as it rests on the adjuster. Reclamping will push it back up. The spiral style bases are less likely to move when clamped, but are difficult to adjust in small increments. There's no free lunch.

The PC shaft lock is not that much help with bit changes either. You still have to reach under to un-clamp and then run it up to the top. With a router lift such as the Jess-Em Mast-r-Lift the factory base is not used at all, so collet access is much improved. Changing under the table is not that difficult - probably faster than the 895's method. Then after changing bits, I can set the height in seconds.

If you think you might want to move up to a router lift in the future you might want to pick that out first. Then buy a compatible router. I don't regret the $200 I spent on my Jess-Em Mast-r-lift at all.

FYI, one of the not-so-glowing Amazon reviews of the PC 895 was mine. I gave it 4 stars but I did vent my disappointment with some aspects. Personally, I don't appreciate "it's perfect" reviews. At the time I bought the 895 there wasn't one negative comment about the plunge base. Every product has some shortcomings and I'd like to know what other think they are. Now there's several comments on the plunge. I do like the fixed base though. If lean toward the PC, and you don't need plunge, the 892P is a better deal at $200 with the free edge guide. The adjuster is ridiculous at $30 but there must be some on ebay. I've been meaning to see what the market is for them since I don't need mine.

Comment

I have the 895 and like it. The plunge base is a little rough at first,but it is smooth now after using it alot. I use mine in a router table and it is average in terms of adjustment. For hand held use it is great. I agree with byte butcher, get the PC fixed base with free edge guide, and get something like the mastrlift for the table. Its a good way to go. The micro adjustment tool that is an option is a joke, save your $30.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Easy: Hitachi M12.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty:
              I have just completed a table saw extention with router mounting plate, and am in the market for a new router. I thought I'd found the ideal in the PC895, but one scathing review at Amazon turned me off. I then considered the DW625 - same thing, a scathing review. Milwaukee 5625 - same song.

Isn't there a decent router availabe for table mount? What experience have you 'old pros' had?
              I was in the exact same situation you are in. I found the Triton 3 1/4hp (15A). I call it "A beauty and a Beast". It absolutely perfect for the table. You never have to take it out, just raise the bit to full and it is lock ready to be loosened. Talk about power! I don't think you can bog the motor even with the heaviest wood. I would seriously consideer this one. Trust me you will not be dissapointed.
              Check this out...(hope it works)
              http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/triton/
              Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Working...
              X