Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this piece on the R3120 jigsaw?

On the nose of the R3120 is a long U-shaped piece of metal that flips down in front of the blade mechanism. What is this used for? The manual makes no reference to it.

Thanks.

I believe the manual states that its a splinter guard? but i have no idea how it works or if it works. I just went and got my friends for the day and see no use for it.Anyone know?
    \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

Its a convenient hanger for hanging on a pegboard. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      I think it is designed to be a blade gaurd when the plastic one is removed. The splinter guard is actually a small 'U' shape piece of plastic that fits in the gap at the blade. It supports the wood around the blade to help prevent tearout. It works like a zero clearence insert for a TS
      I have used the splinter reducer but have not moved the 'u-shpaed metal piece' from its factory position

Comment

Re: What's this piece on the R3120 jigsaw?

343379690 ANTI-SPLINTERING INSERT

Cheap plastic. Mine broke after about 10 minutes of use. Ordering online is $1.49 and $8.00 shipping. The thing weighs about a gram.

Comment

Originally posted by paulgrandy View Post
          343379690 ANTI-SPLINTERING INSERT

Cheap plastic. Mine broke after about 10 minutes of use. Ordering online is $1.49 and $8.00 shipping. The thing weighs about a gram.
          Here's the response I got from Rigid on that part. I guess the price of gas is making a Postage Stamp cost $8.00. Guess I'll call the service center in Gaithersburg, MD and see what they say. Hope they'll just stick one in an envelope and ship it via the USPS. But the way this response indicates I'm going to have to ship it or drive 40 miles for the part. And take the part in so that some 'expert' service guy can declare it broken. I wonder if they have to get an advanced degree to know this stuff. And I guess I have to take the saw so they can snap the part back in. "Too complicated for me".

.................................................. .................................................. ...................

Unfortunately, the price of gas is effecting everything, including the shipping of small piece parts. The only suggestion we can offer are the two below. The part can be purchased/ordered, or warranty coverage obtained through a warranty service dealer.

Replacement parts for Ridgid power tools can be ordered direct from the Ridgid master parts and accessory distributor at toll free 1-877-544-9253.

Warranty coverage/service and repairs for your Ridgid power tools can be obtained by determining your closest authorized Ridgid service dealer from the dealer locator at the link below, contacting them, and arranging to get the tool in for warranty service and repairs based on the reciept or the tools serial number.

Comment

Think of that "U" shaped metal in front of the blade as a fence guard. It is intended to reduce the possibility of getting your finger between the base and the blade when it's cutting. It's very simple, yet elegant, yet for some silly.

The plastic splinter guard that slips on/into the base is a good idea but a pain in the ***! It has fallen out more times than it has worked for me.

This design is also on the Ridgid 18v jig saw.

Cactus Man

Comment

Here's what the local service center had to say about that part. Guess the Lifetime Warranty doesn't mean much. I'm going to have to email Rigid back with his reply. I was kind of figuring the part would be 'Free'.

,sorry,we do not stock part you need.
              slinter guard,p.n.343379690, $2.00 plus .12 tax,plus $8.50 shipping.Total shipped to you $10.62.You can order with credit card.

Thanks,Chuck
              Waters Appliance Service,Inc.
              Phone 1-877-225-5009

Comment

Working...
              X