X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18volt chuck problem

I purchased an 18volt Ridgid combo set, and noticed the chuck has a wobble. Went back to HD and so did the display models, all of them. Does anybody know if this is normal or is it a defect? Asked the HD people and they don't know! I forgot to add, it's the "Hammerdrill" if it matters.

[ 01-21-2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: 758 ]

I also found a wobble in the 18v hammer drill I bought (in the combo). Took it back and exchanged it. New one is fine.

Comment

I have found the wobble also... in my first drill and in the exchange unit...What's up? I have not taken my second one back as of yet because I just opened the case today to check on the new one when I read the forum. I emailed Ridgid to see what their explanation is and if they have addressed the problem. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty, however what a pain to always have to return who knows how many drills.

Comment

I called the customer service number and spoke with the tech named "Cory Henry". He was not aware of the problem, but is sending me a new one! But he would like to hear from others with the same defect,& where they are being purchased, so those can be pulled and replaced also. I haven't gotten the new one yet, but when it arrives I will update this message.

Comment

My 1/2" from my 3 pce had a wobble as well.

Took it back to HD, and they replaced it with a good one.

Comment

howdy gents. sorry to be off the topic, but i was wondering if I should purchase the 1/2 inch chuck drill or the 3/8 chuck. Just using it for basic woodworking needs.

Comment

If you are talking about just doing the odd "honey-do" jobs around the house, or the occasional small woodworking project, a 3/8" should be all that you need. If you think that you might get into serious do-it-yourself, large-scale projects, I would suggest you go ahead and get the 1/2" with more power. You may be glad you did later on. As your interests and courage to tackle large jobs grow, you will probably want both.

[ 01-28-2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

My 12v x2 has the wobble, and all the other x2's at my HD have it also. All the non x2's were tight. I am using it as is and there aren't any useage problems. I would return it but they are out of stock since the sale. It isn't the chuck that wobbles on mine, it is the front bearing. As for 3/8 vs. 1/2 in. chucks, the thing important is the 3/8 will take a smaller drill. I wanted the 1/2 in and carbide jaws. I am very happy with this drill even with the wobble.

Comment

wait til you need it for a precision hole. It'll drive you nuts. You never know what you will need your drill for until you actually need that function.

IMHO a wobble in the chuck is unacceptable. Ridgid or any other brand. I'd replace it.

Jake

Comment

If you look on the main forum page and down several topics you will see that I've had the same problem. I have my third one and plan to take it back. It is unfortunate because I wanted to trust the Ridgid brand. The tools look and feel good and give the impression of being durable and powerful. This has really changed my mind. I will stick with Dewalt & Milwaukee. I was going to purchase the big table saw but now.
                    Good luck to all,
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X